Check Salt and Inspect Cell

Jul 28, 2016
Ontario
Good Morning,

Thanks for having me in the forum.

I am very new to pools, my parents had one when I was a kid but my Dad took care of the maintenance. I just installed a 21' AGP at the beginning of July.

I bought the pool and everything used from a neighbour of a co-worker. Everything has been running smoothly for about 2 weeks after the initial setup, then the pump went last week and now I seem to have an issue with the SWG (Hayward Aqau Trol) or the cell (Turbo Cell 5). I came home work last Thursday and when doing my daily pump inspection, I noticed that the "Generating" light was no longer lit, the Inspect Cell and Check Salt lights were illuminated. I called Hayward and the very helpful technician walked me through some steps, in the end he felt that the cell may need to be replaced, it was manufactured in 2012. I contacted my local pool supply company and they happened to have a cell on hand. When I went to pick it up, they wanted me to try cleaning the cell first, which they took care of for me and found that the cell was actually very clean.

I'll give a little more background here, I had too much salt in my pool, 3800ppm on Tuesday of this week. After the cell had been cleaned, I went home, drained water to return and added more water in an effort to reduce the salt levels. I hooked the salt cell back up and started to second guess if it was hooked up correctly before, it might have been on backwards actually. Anyway, I turned everything back on, waited around for 5 minutes and everything seemed fine. I went back out to the pool to put some super shock in and when I came back to the pump, both of the Check Salt and Inspect Cell lights were back on.

I'm wondering, is there anything else I should try before replacing the cell? Should I be replacing both the board and the cell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Welcome! This is my first full year as a pool owner and have learned quite a bit over last few months. I went through a similar issue and:
1. while my cell was clean, I still washed the cell with acid
2. reset the panel (instructions available online or Hayward posts manuals)

How are you checking the salt level? Strip, panel reading, pool store?? They are all different as you may know. I am assuming SWG worked well when the reading was 3800, correct?

As for the cell direction, I am 99% sure the cell direction does not matter as long as the sensor is in right position. Can't really tell whether your new pump is causing any issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.