pH Test

May 7, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I currently use the Tatylor K – 1000 test, which came in my TF-100 kit, to test my pH. Is there a more exact test available where I can count drops??? I find it very difficult to match the colors when the shades of pink aren't even close to the test shades. Thanks!

If the shade of the liquid is lighter than the lightest one, or darker than the darkest one on the vial, you're too low or too high. In that case, use PoolMath to figure a dose from the highest or lowest (whichever the case may be) pH on the vial to 7.4-7.5 and dose then retest in an hour and repeat until you get in the correct range of 7.2-7.8.

Unfortunately there is no drop-based testing for pH. It can be a bit tricky at times. Best to find a neutral-colored background to hold your comparator view to. Some like a white piece of paper or wall. For me beige walls work best. Everyone's eyes are a little different. The more you practice and adjust pH up & down you'll begin to separate levels better.

+1 to the comments from JesseSchmidt.

Some people hold a white paper plate or piece of paper behind the comparison block. Holding it up to the sky also works well with the colors. No drop test as far as I know.

I bought a pH meter, but you need to check its calibration before every use. No big deal, just keep a gallon of distilled water in a dark closet, set the meter to 7.00 and then test the pool water.

Got it on Amazon.

Interesting. Did you do some side by side testing and expected drop testing when adding acid? I see a few $40-50 PH meters but most are over a hundred and way up. Maybe the cheaper ones are getting better. Or maybe the better ones are getting cheaper.

I always find this VERY helpful

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....

yellow 6.8 and lower

yellow orange 7.0

orange 7.2

orange red 7.4-7.5

red 7.6-7.8

red violet 8.0

violet 8.2 and higher

Interesting. Did you do some side by side testing and expected drop testing when adding acid? I see a few $40-50 PH meters but most are over a hundred and way up. Maybe the cheaper ones are getting better. Or maybe the better ones are getting cheaper.

I do still check with the drop test and the results are very close, as long as I check the calibration.

I have this one at $17.50...Amazon.com: Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC and Backlit LCD, 0.05pH High Accuracy, 0-14 pH Measurement Range, 0.01 Resolution Handheld, Measure Household Drinking Water(Red): Home Improvement

That one from Amazon is the one I have as well, it is almost always right in line with the k-1000 I would guess it is with in 0.1, variance I calibrate it once a week or so. On occasion (once every couple of weeks) it does get totally stupid and tell me the pH is 8.7 or some other ridiculous number and there seems to be nothing I can do to fix it but strangely when I try again the next day it is back to normal. Other than that quirk I like it over the comparator only only use the Tf-1000 on occasion as a double check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.