New Pool with Wet Edge - Need Start-up help

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
Hi everyone! We're starting up our new pool and I could use some advice and maybe a little reassurance. We got filled on Saturday and they didn't turn on the equipment until Monday. Per PB and Wet Edge the pumps needed to be running a minimum of 48 hours before we could add chlorine so we did that this morning. This is my build thread:
Another in Texas - Cypress

And this is what we've done so far:

First test: 7/24 (matched tap water)
PH: 7.7
TA: 170
CH: 100

7/25 AM - Added 2 quarts MA

7/25 10:00pm
PH: 7.6
TA: 150

7/26 AM
PH: 8.0
TA: 160
Added 3 qt MA and 12 lb CH

7/26 1:30p
PH: 7.1
TA: 130
CH: 150

7/26 8:00p
PH: 7.5
CH: 160

7/27 9:10a
PH: 8.0
CH: 170
Added at 11:30a:
70 oz chlorine per Pool Math (to 4)
2 qt MA
8 lb CH

7/27 4:00p
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 220
FC .5

7/27 9:45p
PH 7.8
FC 0
Added rest of 128 oz bottle so 58 oz.

We followed Pool Math for chlorine and ended up with 0 very quickly. Thoughts or suggestions as to what I should ask PB to add this morning besides the usual and some stabilizer? I had it agreed in advance that I could follow TFP from the beginning but now they expect me to tell them what to do. Yippee! Lol

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need the CYA as soon as possible. The FC burns off in the sun very quickly. You may want to set up a couple of socks, each with some of your CYA, hanging in the pool, in front of the return jets. Squeeze them occasionally to help the CYA dissolve and rinse your hands after. Liquid CYA is twice as expensive but convenient. Add 50 ppm CYA for starters. When the salt goes in later and you start the SWG, you can take that up to 80 ppm CYA.

I would not take the pH below 7.4 and would try to leave it closer to 7.6 because the Wet Edge start-up limits CH for the first month, so 220 ppm is fine. The Wet Edge start-up procedures suggest a saturation index of 0 to 0.3, and that requires pH at 7.4 and above.

It looks like you've got it very well under control!

Here is a link to the Wet Edge start-up procedures for reference: http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/files/2014_Start_Up_Form.pdf

Texted PB and we're going to add stabilizer this morning. We've been letting PH get to 7.2 since we're trying to drop TA and PH rises back up so fast. We get it to 7.2 and it's at 8 within 5-6 hours. He's only coming once a day in the morning and we want to swim at night but I'm afraid the PH is too high then. I'll see if I can get permission to start adding some of the MA in the evenings so we can better manage it.

PB only comes once a day so PH is rising faster than he can get out here. At 11:20 my test results were:

PH 8+ (acid demand between 3-4 to get it to between 7.2 and 7.4.
TA 120 (110 last night... Can that go back up or was something off with one of my tests?)
CH 210 (220 yesterday - my testing?)
It did rain a little yesterday but not much.
FC 0
I texted PB and got permission to add the 2 quarts of acid. I asked about socks for the powder stabilizer he used but he didn't know what I was talking about. He said he dilutes it and then adds it. I found socks so I'll see how well diluted when he gets here and go from there.
How much chlorine should we add when we add the stabilizer? Pool Math says 70 oz but... Should I add a little more since the CYA won't really be set-up yet? We're having friends over to swim on Saturday and I'm hoping for a beautiful TFP pool! As much as start-up will allow anyway.

Oh! And I added the acid through the spa this time instead of over the falls since my balance is not good enough to feel secure walking on the bond beam when I'm home alone. I have all the features and the spa on to help circulate and prevent the PH from driving too low. Is that okay?

With the pool eating acid, what do we do when the TA gets too low? It's high in my tap water.

TA is not likely to get too low. As TA lowers the PH rise will slow. But if it does get glow 50 then use baking soda to raise it. Raise FC to target for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and keep it above minimum at all times. Go ahead and add FC based on the amount of CYA you added.

+/- 10 on the TA test is no big deal.

Add acid slowly in front of a return with the pump running.

More here on pool chems and how to add them
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Have fun swimming! :paddle:

Pumps are running 25/7 at least for another day due to start-up instructions in plaster. In that case does it matter where I add it? I already did it in the spa... [emoji33]

We haven't added the CYA yet. PB hasn't come by and he didn't leave it here so I couldn't do anything but add the MA. Now it's pouring down rain and my water features are still on. They graded the yard today but all of that fresh turned dirt just turned into a mud pit walking to the pad and automation isn't set up yet. [emoji85][emoji28] Am I harming anything by letting the bubblers and water falls stay on besides increasing PH which will get diluted by the rain? I'm alone with the kids and I really don't want to go get all muddy in the storm.

In the spa is fine. Rain will also raise PH. Water features don't hurt anything, they just raise PH. 25/7 eh? :)

Ok, keep FC between 2 and 3 until CYA is added. You definitely want it in the water soon.

In the spa is fine. Rain will also raise PH. Water features don't hurt anything, they just raise PH. 25/7 eh? :)

Ok, keep FC between 2 and 3 until CYA is added. You definitely want it in the water soon.

[emoji23] Yep. 25. Subconsciously wishful thinking maybe? I could use an extra hour everyday. I think I just type too fast on my phone as I notice a lot of typos.
I can't seem to get it to 2 or 3. We added 70 oz yesterday and 2 hours later it was only .5. 70 oz was supposed to get it to 4! I added another 58 oz last night to finish the jug and this morning it was 0. I think it's already got stuff to kill. Water was gorgeous this morning before the rain started though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PB came by. We added 3.5 lbs of CYA total and left a sock. He loved that idea once I was explaining it and he was trying to break up and dissolve the stabilizer in a bucket of water by hand. He found one of the socks I originally had tied to the hose for fill day and filled it up. So... We got some into the pool and what was left not dissolved is in a sock. Also added 2 qt of MA and a full gallon of chlorine 10%. I'll test again tonight or tomorrow depending on the weather. How long should I wait before testing CYA? Should I wait until the rest of the stuff in the sock is dissolved?

CYA shows on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved from the sock. But, use PoolMath Effects of Adding Chems to calculate the expected CYA level and target your chlorine level based on that, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Great to hear that everything is under control :)

When you know your pool volume and the amount of CYA you added (ounces) from the packages, there's no need to test. Whatever PoolMath says is mathematically correct, and you go with that for now. Glad to hear the CYA is in now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.