New Build - Plaster Issue

80tx

Jul 27, 2016
Texas
Evening All,

This post will be void of any pictures for the time being, but I will get them added tomorrow along with technical specs of the pool. I had a general question regarding new plaster and remedies. First issue, when the plaster was shot on my pool, the weep holes were still weeping quite a bit. Now that the pool is done, where the weep hole wept, and around the bottom drains, the plaster is discolored from the rest of the pool, plus there is a "bubble" of plaster that is higher than the surrounding area. The second issue is that when the plaster crew began to fill the pool, they ran two hoses into the pool but did not restrict or soften the flow of the water so the plaster ending up being rough and pitted/divots with the hose just laying on the plaster to start with. Plaster company sent a man out to try and remedy what he could. He had a "bug sprayer" with acid and sprayed the pitted areas and smoothed them out some, but they are still pitted and now it is discolored from the original pool color and the discoloration from the weep holes. In essence, three different shades of plaster in the pool. Finally, they are spots in the pool that I do not think they hit with the acid wash as the pebbletec is rough. Rough enough that as I swam up to my toddler who was on a bench, I placed my hands on the bench and coasted in, my finger was cut by part of the plaster.

I have expressed my concerns and dissatisfaction with PB in person, by phone/email. Was told that they will fix it but recommends to wait until after pool season since technically the pool works and we have been swimming in it. Now to my questions about remedies. I was told that they would either be looking at doing an acid bath or draining the pool and doing the acid wash again. My concern with an acid bath is that I would have to trust that every square inch of the plaster would get brushed adequately, correct? With the acid wash, they just redo what they already did. Any concerns that after with either of those, that the plaster will be a different color than what I ordered?

Other than the issue with the plaster, I have been mostly pleased with the PB. If they get the plaster fixed, will be 100% satisfied with the product. As mentioned, I will get pics and specs uploaded tomorrow but wanted to get started on my questions. Wish I saw this website about 2 years ago and studied hard before I had the pool built. A wealth of knowledge on this site. Thanks in advance. If wrong forum please advise.

I'm already hungry. That pic didn't help. I hope they resolve the plaster issue to your satisfaction. It doesn't seem like a problem that an acid bath or acid anything will resolve. Interested to hear their proposed solution. No issue with having him do it after the pool season. They will be more focused then anyway. Just get the proposed solution(s) in writing now for reference.

Re: New Build with Plaster Issue

Alright here goes. This post will hopefully be build pictures and "final" pictures. I will do a supplemental post with pictures trying to show the discoloration.

Digging. We had lots of rock. Its a play pool; 3.5>5>4 and they hit rock at 3 ft.

Next, we had some rain

Cannot find the picture of the rebar or gunite in process, but here is post gunite

Some rock work

OK flagstone, with a shot of the tequila table in the background

Deck pour, exposed aggregate

Post pour

Almost full

Full and running

Light show (if the link works)

Now on to the discoloration. It's easier to see in person, especially before the sun gets up too high.

Here is the weep hole post plaster, but pre acid wash

This picture is where the weep occurred. Kinda hard to tell by the picture but it is the light area right in the middle

The discoloration circle around the main drains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.