Just had new pool start up

More information is needed, please go to pool school and read all, several times, how are you testing your water and how it looks... The relationship between bleach and CYA is the corner stone of TFP look at the link in my signature, it have to be maintained all the time

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

That is true, with no CYA the sun will burn off the FC very quickly. You need CYA and Chlorine.

Here is some good info
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Getting Started

Who is doing the first 30 days? The first 30 days is critical to plaster success. Did PB give you a start up guide? Did you check the plaster mfg online for their start up guide? Most also have online warranty registration.

Okay, so should i not add chlorine until i can pick up some CYA tomorrow? What is the cya in the sock method?

I cant believe they just left me hanging, i would have picked up the stuff i needed today.

So i am brushing twice per day. The pump is on a 12 hour schedule. Do i test again tomorrow night?

Add cya and chlorine or just cya or just chlorine?

Sorry to panic but i expected more from pool training

Thanks. Well since i had neither a traditional start up or an acid start up is there a preferred method?

I have read the pool school stuff but at this point acid method was not done so i guess traditional?

I will test everything in the morning but it appears i cant add chlorine for 48 hours after fill, so cya first then chlorine, cant find the sequence anywhere?

Here's a good article on recommended chemicals and how to add them.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Yes, start the CYA and then maintain the rest per the plaster start-up guide. The sock method for CYA means putting the CYA powder in an old sock with no holes in it. Tie it at the top with string and use the string to hang the whole thing in the pool, in front of a return jet. Use a stick or board to hold the hanging sock away from the side of the pool. Squeeze the sock every now and then to help the CYA dissolve. Rinse your hands after.

Get familiar with PoolMath. And if you haven't already, order this test kit: TFTestkits.net
Get it delivered quickly if at all possible. If you already have it, post your test results and let us know any questions or concerns you might have.

When a sequence is not specified it is because it is not important. You are correct that it is now by default a traditional start up.

+1 to learning how to use PoolMath and don't guess how much to add. There is a link at the top of every page and there are directions at the top of the PoolMath page.

Test results this morning
Tc=.5
Tb-1
Ph-7.5
Ta-110
Ch-325
On the ch test, do i stop drops of r-0012 at the first sign of light red or add more until darker red? That was the difference between 11 and 13 drops?

I am using a tl-100 kit

So based on the numbers i am in the zone except for chlrine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep adding drops until no further changes, subtract the last drop

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thanks, I was not mixing after each drop, until I saw the expanded directions, will need to redo. Strange, the pool guy had this digital "safe dip" that said my CH was 170 yesterday, perhaps I screwed up the test?

I did pick up some conditioner (CYA) at a pool store, they told me to pull the basket out of the pump, put the lid back on and then start the pump and pour the CYA (granules) into the skimmer basket?

I am going to do this tomorrow afternoon, as traditional start up says no chlorine for 72 hours, NPT says no chlorine for 48 hours. I figure tormorrow afternoon I will just do it.

Ok, 48 hours post fill is 10pm tonight. Does it need to be exactly 48 hours, its dark at 10 pm or can i add chlorine and cya say 8pm or friday am. I know i sound paranoid but i dont know how exact i have to be.

Thx

No, it does not. 7 or 8 is fine. And test again an hour later to see if it held and add more if needed. And again an hour later. Just in case there is something in the water consuming chlorine.

Don't feel anything other than normal. We've all been there, lol. You'll be comfortable with it all in no time. Do the suggested reading; the linked articles are quite short.

Whoever told you to run your pump without its strainer basket is either a numbskull or is hoping to sell you a pump someday.

What's great about this site, and keeps it great, is that if anyone says something wrong or misleading, an expert will jump in and correct it.

All good, you're learning fast :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.