Just had new pool start up

Ok, that is good on the sock and filfer. How many ppm did you add?

2-4 ppm daily FC usage is normal with a decent CYA level. It will be more with low or no CYA. I wouldn't push the slam button just yet. Add another 30ppm of CYA in a sock and keep FC 3 or higher at all times. Test CYA 24-36 hours after it is dissolved from the sock.

You can do a true Overnight Chlorine Loss Test any time you want. The 1 to 1-1/2 doesn't look like an after dark and before sunrise test.

I think you are probably ok. Any signs of algae? Cloudy? Slimy? Greenish tint?

Ok, that is good on the sock and filfer. How many ppm did you add? I have added 48oz of CYA which should raise CYA from 0 to 34 PPM. I will add the rest of the 5lb bag which is 32oz, that should get CYA to 56PPM according to the pool math.
2-4 ppm daily FC usage is normal with a decent CYA level. It will be more with low or no CYA. I wouldn't push the slam button just yet. Add another 30ppm of CYA in a sock and keep FC 3 or higher at all times. Test CYA 24-36 hours after it is dissolved from the sock. In order to keep FC at 3 should I target 5? I seem to lose 1-2PPM from 6am to 6PM, I figured I should overshoot it?

You can do a true Overnight Chlorine Loss Test any time you want. The 1 to 1-1/2 doesn't look like an after dark and before sunrise test.

I think you are probably ok. Any signs of algae? Cloudy? Slimy? Greenish tint?
My water looks crystal clear, I can see the heads of the main drain screws, in the deep end.

Based on a SWG pool according to the charts I should shoot for FC= 5 and CYA 70-80.

So tonight I will add 32more oz of CYA and I will add chlorine to target 5ppm, since that should not let it drop below 3.

Ok, good. Yes, more FC is better. Aim a bit higher for now until you get it figured out. Remember, it is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA. Sounds crazy but the buffering capacity of CYA on chlorine males this possible. FC at 28 ppm with CYA at 70 is less harsh than FC at 1 ppm with 0 CYA. We swam while SLAMing last summer with FC 25-28 and CYA at 70 and nobody even noticed the elevated FC.

So, don't be afraid to keep it at 7mor 8 ppm. Just know that the PH test isn't valid when FC is above 10 ppm.

Ok, good. Yes, more FC is better. Aim a bit higher for now until you get it figured out. Remember, it is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA. Sounds crazy but the buffering capacity of CYA on chlorine males this possible. FC at 28 ppm with CYA at 70 is less harsh than FC at 1 ppm with 0 CYA. We swam while SLAMing last summer with FC 25-28 and CYA at 70 and nobody even noticed the elevated FC.

So, don't be afraid to keep it at 7mor 8 ppm. Just know that the PH test isn't valid when FC is above 10 ppm.

I may push it to 6 or more but I will not go to 10PPM, isn't knowing the "real" PH important with new plaster?

Thanks for the help, I know it will all come together but I feel like a new dad trying to get this right!

Yes, it is. Very important to keep PH at 7.8 or less. Nice job, you're learning! :)

Yep, it is a bit of a learning curve for sure. One day it will be like riding a bike. I used to have to look all this stuff up all the time. Now it is just stuck in my head. You'll get there soon. And you'll be glad you did.

Do not SLAM your pool right now. You have fresh plaster and need to make that your priority.

I doubt you have algae and even if you did, it can be handled later.

What CYA are you using? From where?

Okay i added the CYA, its in a sock in the skimmer, running the pump 24/7, so i should be about 70oz of cya in the pooll at this point. The CYA brand is HASA, Its the same brand as the chlorine and acid i have been using, i got it from a pool supply distributor in west covina, its a real pool supply place. I added chlorine tonight to bump it to 5.5 ppm. Will check FC and PH in the morning. Thanks for helping me out guys.

So i guess i will not be going on my 3 day trip to Vegas in a couple weeks, no way i can leave this pool until i get the salt up and running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will check back with you two before Vegas on 8/16-18 and see how the pool is doing. the positive is PH seems to hover about 7.5-7.6. I am only adding like 5-7oz of acid, chlorine, thats another story, lol.

Cya showed up in the test today, between 25-30ppm. I will wait another week to see if the rest of it shows up. I just added the second half last night.

I targeted FC last night at 5.5ppm. This morning it was 5ppm. I targeted 6ppm this morning and this afternoon it was 3+ppm. The cya is not helping yet.

PH sticking at 7.5-7.6.

Okay, 7 or 8ppm? Higher?

Since i will be on salt in 30 is the 5/70 the target to shoot for or 6/80? Or do you suggest i just target high right now due to low CYA.

Thx Brian, if you lived closer i would pay you back in beer and Bbq��

One question you asked got missed, so just to re-assure you... Until the SWG is turned on, consider your pool to be non-SWG and use the non-SWG FC/CYA ratio.

Also the pH test is not compromised at 10 ppm FC. If your FC is above 10 ppm, then you can't entirely rely on the number, but at 10, you're fine.

I am going to target FC at 7 and CYA at 60 until the salt goes in.

Last night I targeted chlorine at 6, added chlorine, tested this morning, it held at 6PPM, so perhaps the cya is starting to work. PH was at 7.6, I adding just 5oz of acid to keep it at 7.5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.