New pool water test results

Jul 4, 2016
League City, TX
My pool was filled 7-15-16. I just got my test kit K-2006C today. I live in Houston so the sun is brutal. Pool is full sun 10hrs a day. I'm trying to figure out if I should raise the CYA or wait and use the clorox 99 tablets I bought before I found this site. I have a pentair auto chlorine thing you fill with tablets.

FC-3.6
PH-7.1 been raining for last 3 days. Ph has been rising fast, I assume because of the new plaster.
TA-70
CH-190
CYA-0

The PB sent a pool guy to give us "pool school". He gave us some test strips, said don't go to Leslie's they will have you raise your CYA, and that was about it. Seemed like he wanted us to hire him, he was kinda of a tool. Looking back it was pretty much a waste of an hour.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here's some recommendations assuming you have the "all-clear" from your pool builder to do so (plaster warranty):
- Increase CYA to 50 with granule stabilizer via the sock method
- Increase FC to 6-7 for the next couple days. If you find that you are losing more than 4 ppm of FC in a 24 hour period, perform an overnight (OCLT) test.
- PH should be anywhere between 7.5-7.8
- CH should rise on its own to your minimum 250.
- Leave TA alone

When in doubt, bounce your K-2006 results against the TFP Recommended Levels chart (link below) and you'll do fine. Congrats on your pool!

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thanks TX splash!

since you have a test kit you could try to use tablets if it's worth a trouble- depends how much you got there. They're trichlor as far as I can tell and using PoolMath for your pool size at the bottom you can learn that each 8oz tablet will raise your FC by 3.9ppm, CYA by 2.4 ppm and lower pH by 0.21

If I was going this route I'd bring my CYA by adding granular CYA using sock up to 20 and then use tablets for the rest- you need some CYA there ASAP to buffer your FC or it will be broken down by your brutal sun too quickly and you might end up with 0 FC before the sunset.

since you have a test kit you could try to use tablets if it's worth a trouble- depends how much you got there. They're trichlor as far as I can tell and using PoolMath for your pool size at the bottom you can learn that each 8oz tablet will raise your FC by 3.9ppm, CYA by 2.4 ppm and lower pH by 0.21

If I was going this route I'd bring my CYA by adding granular CYA using sock up to 20 and then use tablets for the rest- you need some CYA there ASAP to buffer your FC or it will be broken down by your brutal sun too quickly and you might end up with 0 FC before the sunset.
That's pretty much what was happening. I was adding liquid chlorine after work and 24hrs later the FC was 0. I did find my pentair chlorinator was air locked. I bleed the air and retubed the water injection from the bottom to the top. I have 35lbs of tablets, so I'll use those to help the CYA and add some granular CYA. I'm thinking it will be better to bring the CYA up slow so I don't over shoot my goal ppm. Just need to pay attention to FC levels.

It's been overcast and rainy for the last 3 days and FC loss has slowed alot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The PH has been going down the past 2 weeks. I haven't added anything to raise it, just been turning on the fountains. A day or 2 later the PH gets back to 7.5-7.6.

We have gotten about 6" of rain over the last 2 weeks. If that means anything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.