Dirt on the bottom

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We installed our above ground pool without compacting the sand for the bottom. This will be our 4th season and I am CONSTANTLY fighting a silt problem in the nooks and cranies on the bottom. It collects in each and every dip--you can even see the different layers of sediment in some of the larger spots. Whether we just live in an incredibly dusty area or my filter isn't working on this small stuff I can't say. The sand in the filter looks perfect, no veining. I tried adding DE to my filter last year and did not notice that it helped, it just made the pool cloudy for a month or so. I'm thinking of sacrificing the 4-year old liner and compacting and smoothing the bottom and making a slight depression across the entire pool to catch this sediment so I only have to vac in one area. Has anyone fought this silt battle and won? Is there a type of automatic cleaner that works well on this problem?

255um2f.jpg

I know what you're talking about. Darn those wrinkles!

I invested this year in a pool blaster max. It was a little pricey, but it gets the job done. It runs on a rechargable battery, so I just hop in the pool, turn it on and sweep it up. I do place a skimmer sock in the pre-existing filter to catch the finer stuff.

As a matter of fact, I just braved to cold water and swept it out today, you'd be amazed at what it picks up. :)

Yes, socks will help, but not completely eliminate it. I run a skimmer sock 24/7 and just vacuumed a few hours ago and it's already settling back in. A lot of it is pollen I'm sure. My allergies and sinuses have been killing me, grrr!

I'm so relieved it's not my filter. Last year there was commercial construction across the street that blew fine fine clay silt all over, all summer. That's when I got most of it. $319 for a Pool Rover and $175 for the Pool Blaster. You gotta really hate dirt huh!

I do love it...honestly it's worth the $300 not having to vacum...but I picked mine up last oct at Namco for $149 during the fall closeout...refurbished, but it looked all new to me...works great

Don't like dirt, that's for sure :)

But for me it was the simplicity of not having to drag out and untangle the hoses, get it all hooked up, only to lose prime on the pump, have to go down and re-prime, go back up and hook it all up again, so on and so forth...lol

I don't have to have the filter running when I use the pool blaster, the water is "still" and I can see everything much clearer. I just hop in, blast the tunes and sweep away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool Blaster Catfish works really good on that, too. Same thing as the max, just smaller & doesn't run as long. Also less expensive. Runs long enough for my 20' diameter AGP. I put a skimmer sock in the catfish's bag. I get the desert dust, very fine stuff, and, like you, we didn't really compact the sand so our bottom is a bit "rippley". That's another reason I like the pool blaster - it doesn't care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.