How to generate Chlorine when T-Cell-15 says it is HI

Jul 26, 2015
Tallahassee/FL
Hi,

I didn't know my T-Cell-15 no longer generated chlorine, so I kept adding salt to my pool.

A month ago, I noticed the water became cloudy even after I cleaned the cell and add salt. So last week, when I checked my chemicals at pinch-a-penny, the owner said my cell didn't generate chlorine because its salt reading was way high (close to 6,000) and chlorine level was way too low. He said I had to drain about half of pool water to balance it which freaked me out. After I came back home, I ordered a new T-Cell-15 and just got it.

Now after I replaced it with the new one and set it to "Super chlorinate", it says "HI" rather than 3,000 something like that, and "Generating" light is off and "Super chlorinate" is on. So I started to add water while T-Cell and the pump are running, and plan to run both over night.

Question #1:
So I am wondering when "Generating" light is off, if it really doesn't generate chlorine at all despite "Super chlorinate" on. If not, is there any way to force to generate chlorine even though it says "HI"?

Question #2:
It happened a month ago: after I touched something which I don't know in Aqua Rite panel, the salt reading which used to display "2,600" or "3,200" is now "2.60" or "3.20" instead respectively. What should I do to change its reading back to the original one?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

It’s just saying Hi; you know, to be friendly.

But seriously, you have to lower the salt level to get it to work. But first check the T-cell type in diagnostics.

The 2.60 means that it’s in metric mode. To switch back, go to temperature and move the switch from auto to superchlorinate and back to auto.

When the settings start going off, it usually means that the display board is not making good contact with the pins from the back board. Resetting the display board usually helps.

You should check all of your settings in diagnostics to make sure that they are correct. If your T-cell type is wrong, it will make your salt read wrong.

@JamesW
Thank you very much for fast reply.
Sorry for my ignorance. I don't know how to "Reset the display board". I do have a manual, but I couldn't understand.
You also said "If your T-cell type is wrong, it will make your salt read wrong."
Mine was T-Cell-15. The new one I got says "T-Cell-15-SWP" so I believe it is the same one.

How To: Replace an AquaRite Display PCB - YouTube

Here is a video on replacing the display board. You just need to remove and reinstall, not replace, if the settings are going off. If they are staying good, then it’s not necessary.

You got the right cell. The cell type is in the settings in diagnostics. It should say T-15 as one of the readings. The T looks weird, kind of like t-15.

Can you post your diagnostic readings?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.