Looking for shutoff valves for Intex 12'x30" metal frame pool...where/what to buy???

Jul 27, 2016
NY/NY
Looking for shutoff valves for Intex 12'x30" metal frame pool...where/what to buy???

Well, I tried to change the filter cartridge on the Intex 1000gph filter. Ok, I finally succeeded, but did not realize that the water would rush out of the filter like a geyser because there were no shutoff valves on the pool or filter (or the Intex saltwater System that fed the water in reverse through the filter). Outside cover went one way, ring went another and inside cover a third :drown:, and no one to help!

Anyway, got it all back together, but I need to swap out the cartridge again and don't want to relive the horror.

Does anyone know what to buy or where to get shutoff valves that would fit in this system?

Thanks!

Did I mention I was new to pools (in case you couldn't guess) and the only reason we got this pool was for the dog [but he shares :D ]?

Re: Looking for shutoff valves for Intex 12'x30" metal frame pool...where/what to buy

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are threads that describe methods of adding valves and fittings on your plumbing I think. Hopefully someone can offer specifics.

I just wanted to highly recommend that you get a couple of the reusable aftermarket cartridges for your filter that are WAY better than the Intex brand.

Also, how are you maintaining your chemistry and testing your water?

Re: Looking for shutoff valves for Intex 12'x30" metal frame pool...where/what to buy

Just Google "Intex valve" and you'll find tons of places selling them.

And welcome!

Lift your pump onto a table above the level of the water and it won't do that. You won't need cutoff valves, although they are nice to have.

Just Google "Intex valve" and you'll find tons of places selling them.

And welcome!

Thanks!
I've been looking but I have a smaller hose than any of the models I've seen. If I upgrade to the Intex 1500gph filter, I will have to get adaptors or cut a larger hole in side of the pool. I was hoping to get a valve that will directly fit the setup I have. I emailed Intex directly, but haven't heard back as of yet. I was hoping to get a suggestion for an aftermarket valve.

- - - Updated - - -

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are threads that describe methods of adding valves and fittings on your plumbing I think. Hopefully someone can offer specifics.

I just wanted to highly recommend that you get a couple of the reusable aftermarket cartridges for your filter that are WAY better than the Intex brand.

Also, how are you maintaining your chemistry and testing your water?

Thanks!

Can you recommend a reusable aftermarket replacement cartridge?

As far as testing the parameters, I've been a constant visitor of my local pool store. They've been great, explained everything and tell me what/when to add.

- - - Updated - - -

Lift your pump onto a table above the level of the water and it won't do that. You won't need cutoff valves, although they are nice to have.

Thanks!

Not sure the hose connecting the filter and Intex saltwater System is long enough.
I have to change the cartridge and am hoping it arrives today.

So far, I have found out that if you let the cartridge dry before cleaning, you won't be able to clean it thoroughly...hence the new filter cartridge purchase :)

I can't recommend a filter brand (we got ours from Amazon), but washing and reusing is a good idea.

Reading around here, you'll see that buying a test kit is an even better idea- the pool store is in the chemical selling business. The chemicals actually needed are a lot simpler and cheaper than what the pool store cheerfully sells you.

Welcome to the site!

I think that filter brands were Filbur or Unicel. A search of the forum should find the cross reference.

I also second getting a test kit and stop trusting the pool store testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.