New to the forum

Hello All!

Just joined as I'm running into a lot of questions about my pool. The pool came with my house and is about 15 years old.

I think I have a lot of the basics down but I'm really intrigued with automation. I didn't see a forum dedicated to automation, so I figured I'd post here and hopefully somebody could put me in the right spot.

My pool is all manual at this point. I have to move two valves in order to go from spa to pool, the heater has to be turned on manually, the timer is separate and old-school, the pump settings are all manually adjusted. I'd love to have this all automated and controlled by a smartphone app!

After looking around I came across this kit which seems like it would do the trick: Jandy AquaLink RS System IQ904-PS | Jandy IQ904-PS

My question to the forum is this: Will it work with my existing equipment?

Purex Minimax 400 heater (not sure if it will work with this)
Hayward pump (not sure the model, but it's new so I'm thinking it will work)
Existing 3 way valves (almost 100% it will work with the included actuators)
Not sure what brand my salt converter is, but I'll get back to that.

Basically, I want to start all the equipment from inside my home and be able to control pool mode vs. Spa mode including heater. Pluses would be if I could adjust the thermostat, pump speed and chlorine.

Help would be totally appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The Jandy system you listed should work, however generally it is suggested you go with the same manufacture as your existing equipment for automation, the various brands can some times not play well with each other. If your pump is a VS pump then you want Hayward automation so that the panel you choose will be able to communicate with the pump. If it is just a 2 speed then it will not matter as the speeds are controlled by the application of power through high power relays. You should be able to get the heater to work but depending on the age you may have to wire the control switch through an aux relay. As for actuators most are based on what is commonly referred to as "Jandy valves" I have intermatic actuators on Jandy valves works just fine. Salt system would be the same as the heater you can just use one of the Aux relays to power it when needed.

After a bit of research, it looks like I probably need the following:

Prologic PS4 (to control pool/spa with 4 functions and up to 4 actuators)
2 actuators
Aquaconnect (for iPad control?)

This should work great for pump control, lighting, chlorinator, and actuators I'm assuming. Still a little unsure about the heater, but I'm thinking I'd use a relay as you said.

Am I on track here?

Update:

I just installed my PS-4 over the weekend. It took way longer than expected just because I wanted to make sure I was being careful :). I was able to get my VS Hayward pump working properly, Purex Heater is working like a champ, valve actuators are amazing, chlorinator is singing, and my pool lights and landscape lights all controlled through the PS-4.

My next move is to get the Hayward serial automation module and connect up to HomeSeer home automation. I think this makes more sense than buying the Hayward wireless module (for iphone app) since I've read horrible reviews about the app (SUPER delayed response, 1980's design, etc...). With Homeseer I can control everything in the pool as well as everything in the house with a single app. It also has Amazon Alexa integration!

Anyone else tried Homeseer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.