Pump replacement - need some assistance

Jul 27, 2016
Toronto ON
I have an above-ground (partially sunk in?) pool and I need to replace the pump. The old pump has sprung multiple pinhole leaks in the housing and is bleeding water.

Some rough specs -
Pool size - 57,000 litres (13k gallons)
Piping - 2" outside diameter
Existing pump - Pinnacle High Flow Pump 1.5 HP (1.10 SF?) (centurion switchless motor)... rpm 3450... volts 230/115
Filter - Hayward Sand Blaster SM2306T
Heater - Laars Lite 2 (this is next on the list to replace...)

There is a Hayward chlorine distributor which I intend to remove, and thus remove 3x 90 degree fitting in the process.

Distance from return to pump is approx 20 feet. Return is at 8 o'clock if the deep end is 12.
There is only one jet currently hooked up at 4 o'clock, approx 40 feet from the pump/filter/heater.
There is piping to a second jet which is *not* currently hooked up to the pool. The end has a closed valve on, I was told to wait until I have to replace the liner to hook this one up.

Current PSI on the filter is about 27 under normal operation, after backwashing thoroughly. I replaced the sand 4 years ago and have not touched it other than backwashing since.

Electricity cost = 18 cents/kwh 11am-5pm, 8.7 cents/kwh offpeak.

There are some 2 speed pumps here for reasonable cost, but I have no idea what differentiates them or what I actually need for my pool. I'm finding it difficult to find performance data for any of the Hayward non-VS pumps.
Above Ground Pool Pumps - Pool Supplies Canada

Any assistance would be appreciated!

The old pump has sprung multiple pinhole leaks in the housing and is bleeding water.
Are those along the seams where the parts mate? That can be repaired with new gaskets.

Any of the two speed pumps are going to save you a lot in energy costs and there really isn't much difference between those pumps other than head curves (a.k.a size). I would just go with this one: Hayward 1.5 HP 2 Speed Turbo Flo II - Pool Supplies Canada

But is the pump above or below water level?

Thanks for the response.

The leaks are in the housing itself, not at a joint. I tried plastic welding the inside, but didn't really know what I was doing. Glue gunning the housing stopped the leaks for a bit, but eventually failed.

The Pump is below water level.

Would a VS pump be better over time or not worth the extra expense?

Regards

You are in the electrical cost range where it might make sense but it depends on the price of the pump. Also, you would need to add surge protection the panel feeding the pump.

Do power companies offer rebates for VS pumps up there?

VS pumps seem to be about $1000 bucks. No rebates on VS pumps that I'm aware of.

Is there any resource out there that compares the specs on each of these Hayward above-ground pumps?

Stupid question maybe, but is there an easier way of connecting a pump other than turning the pump full-circle on the end of the length of hose? Is there some sort of quick connect system?

Regards again

You can use PVC fittings but I really don't what your plumbing setup is.

As for specs, what you are looking for?

Re the specs - just interested in learning. Is there a resource that compares the flow rates/head curves for all of these pumps as well as electricity costs? Also, what made you pick that pump? Are they all very similar?

Re unions: I need to get some of these!

Regards both

Re the specs - just interested in learning. Is there a resource that compares the flow rates/head curves for all of these pumps as well as electricity costs? Also, what made you pick that pump? Are they all very similar?
The pumps that you have shown on that web site are all very similar and do not have much difference.

Unfortunately, manufactures will only publish head curves (which are usually in the manuals) but not energy use. However, head curves are only of use if you know how to properly use them for comparison (see Hydraulics 101 sticky).

Also, the US government publishes Energy Star data which compares flow rates and energy use of many two speed and VS speed pumps. However, many pumps sold in Canada are not sold in the US so do not show up on the list. But if you have a couple of pumps you want to compare, I can try to find a proxy (equivalent US pump) for performance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not much difference. Performance will be about the same. The matrix allows you to rotate the outlet by 90 degrees.

Ok I picked up the Turbo Flo II 1.5 HP 2 speed pump. Question though, the pool store guy told me I needed 230V for this pump, but all of the documentation says 115V.... was he just wrong? My outlet is measuring 125V on an AC multimeter.

The ad says it comes with a 25" cord and it's a 120V. Check to see if the plug at the end is a standard style that plugs into a regular outlet.

Hi again both,

I got the new pump installed. Pressure has dropped from 28 to about 14 on the sand filter. There also seems to be less flow.

Does this matter?
It is better for several reasons. Less pressure means lower flow rate which means better filtering and lower energy costs.

The original pump you had on the pool was a high head pump which really wasn't appropriate for an AG pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.