Muratic Acid from paint dept

kschmidt1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2015
Grandy, NC
Need to lower pH a bit and found Muratic Acid at WMart by Kleen Strip Green. Couldn't find percentage on label for Poolmath so called mfg. Told me 20-1/2% with Baume' of 13. Numbers not offered in Poolmath drop down to figure quantity to add. Anyone help?

Thanks.

Some of those brands have varied percentages. If you buy that brand, you might have to use the low end on the calculator and just keep re-dosing/testing. If you find yourself near a Home Depot or Lowes you could look for one of these:
Muriatic Acid (Home Depot):

Muriatic Acid (Lowes):

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The stuff from WM paint is a gallon (supposed to have 90% less voc than regular MA) for $6.88. It was handy.

I think the "90% less VOC" claim just comes from it being lower strength (20% vs 31.45%), thus you will need more for a given pH change. For paint stripping that's probably a good tradeoff; for the pool it may or may not be depending on how you manage it.

My local Home Depots usually have 2 varieties of 2x1gal Kemtek or HDX (more recently) in the garden center, often in the same stack so you have to check the label -- 31.45% for $11.98 or 14.5% for $10.98. Obviously the higher strength is a far better value and is what I buy, but some may choose the lower because it does fume less (see the Decanting Acid thread and others for discussion on methods).

I'll let you know. smackdab gave a calculation to figure using different strength in Poolmath. We'll see how that worked out. Nothing to lose. Still too high, add more. Too low, add borax. I did purchase 1/2 gal at local ACE while back of full strength for $3.99. Again, easy access.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.