New Pump PSI fluctuatin?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We just had our equipment hooked up on Monday last week. The PSI was running around 12 for the first few days and today it is fluctuating between 12 to about 16. It will run about 16 for a few minutes, and then kinda take a break and run at 12 for a few minutes. Is this normal?

jonmar said:
We just had our equipment hooked up on Monday last week. The PSI was running around 12 for the first few days and today it is fluctuating between 12 to about 16. It will run about 16 for a few minutes, and then kinda take a break and run at 12 for a few minutes. Is this normal?

For pressure to change like that, something in the plumbing would need to change. If this is a new pool, then there could be something stuck in the impeller which might cause what your seeing. Another possibility is that there is something in one of the lines, suction or return.

Do you notice any change in the pump sound or pump basket (bubbles) when the PSI changes?

It is up around 18 PSI now, and is remaining there constantly now. There was a change in sound this morning when it would drop to 12. It is a brand new pool. Now sure what an impeller is though.

Okay, looked up what an impeller is. So, pump has been running 24 hours a day since Tuesday. We use the sock in the skimmer and I have cleaned the pump basket twice already. Pump now is running between 16-12, with constant movement on the needle.

It's a Hayward Maxi Flow. In any case, I was out just now and happened to lean on the PVC pipe coming straight up from my pump, the vibration/fluctuation stopped. I let go, it came back. After about 10 trials, this is the culprit. I rested a patio stone along the PVC pipe and the guage is normal at 12 and does not vibrate or fluctuate. So this clearly is some anomoly in the installation of the pump, cause any downward pressure on the pipe or pump itself and it goes away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.