Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pump PSI fluctuatin?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pump PSI fluctuatin?

We just had our equipment hooked up on Monday last week. The PSI was running around 12 for the first few days and today it is fluctuating between 12 to about 16. It will run about 16 for a few minutes, and then kinda take a break and run at 12 for a few minutes. Is this normal?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pump PSI fluctuatin?

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar
    We just had our equipment hooked up on Monday last week. The PSI was running around 12 for the first few days and today it is fluctuating between 12 to about 16. It will run about 16 for a few minutes, and then kinda take a break and run at 12 for a few minutes. Is this normal?
    For pressure to change like that, something in the plumbing would need to change. If this is a new pool, then there could be something stuck in the impeller which might cause what your seeing. Another possibility is that there is something in one of the lines, suction or return.

Do you notice any change in the pump sound or pump basket (bubbles) when the PSI changes?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

It is up around 18 PSI now, and is remaining there constantly now. There was a change in sound this morning when it would drop to 12. It is a brand new pool. Now sure what an impeller is though.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay, looked up what an impeller is. So, pump has been running 24 hours a day since Tuesday. We use the sock in the skimmer and I have cleaned the pump basket twice already. Pump now is running between 16-12, with constant movement on the needle.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

jonmar,

Please put the type pool and filter you have in your signature. It sounds like you need to backwash/clean but I don't know what kind of filter you have.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a Hayward Maxi Flow. In any case, I was out just now and happened to lean on the PVC pipe coming straight up from my pump, the vibration/fluctuation stopped. I let go, it came back. After about 10 trials, this is the culprit. I rested a patio stone along the PVC pipe and the guage is normal at 12 and does not vibrate or fluctuate. So this clearly is some anomoly in the installation of the pump, cause any downward pressure on the pipe or pump itself and it goes away.