Owner build Fall 2016, in need of advice

Jun 10, 2016
Farmington KY
Good Morning, well we are taking the plunge! Literally! After dreaming, discussing, plotting and perusing we've decided to put in an inground pool...ourselves! I've been reading a lot online and on this site, ya'll have a great site btw :) So we are needing some guidance. We have decided to go with a pool kit from Royal Swimming Pools, the L Shape 20x45x36. I was curious on advice for the pump and filter...and anything else anyone wants to chime in on. With most kits, you get to choose brand and size of pumps and filters so we are pretty much clueless on what to get. And I know this is a pretty big pool. We are going with standard shallow end (3'4") and diving deep end (8'). I'm also assuming we need 2 returns on the steps and 2 or 3 returns in the pool. One skimmer? Also, we have 2 choices on where to put our equipment, at the end of the pool by the deep end or about 40 feet away sitting by our wellhouse and incorporate a new structure for all of that plus some storage. Is 40 feet too far for a pump to work well? Any advice is appreciated! Looking forward to hearing from yall!:D

Just a comment on your depths. By standard, I'm presuming that means the cheapest choice they offer. 8' is a minimum diving depth. An extra 6" or 1' provides a little insurance if you will. And 3' 4" on the shallow end is pretty shallow. If you don't have very small kids, you might consider 3' 8" or even 4'.

The kits come in a 42" wall panel or 48" wall panel. I assumed the 42" panel was the standard size but if it's safer to add the extra few inches for the deep end then we will def'ly do the 48". Our youngest boys are 7 yo, but they grow like weeds! I would be fine with a deeper shallow end. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.