Gallons and gallons of bleach and stlll no FC???? What gives?

Aug 5, 2010
Alvin, Tx
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. This site is awesome and I've learned a lot and continue to every time I log onto it. My problem is that I've been trying to SLAM my pool with very little luck. Currently, I can't personally check the CYA level. According to the pool store, my CYA was 45, but we've since added about 700 gal and it has rained a little for the last couple of days. I understand that the CYA will drop with water addition, but didn't think 700 gal would drop it so low that the sun would cook it all off. Am I mistaken? Water is crystal clear!! I've added bleach, according to PoolMath, several times but the Cl is always very low after letting it circulate. I SLAMed it yesterday afternoon. It circulated for 13-14 hours, while I was at work. I checked it this morning when I got home from work, and my FC was about a 2, so I SLAMed it again. Checked it about 7 hrs later and again, my FC was about a 2. SLAMed it again before leaving for work and threw the floater back in to try and help increase CYA. I had my wife check it again about 6 hrs later, and lo and behold.......FC is a 2 again. CC is 0. I'm waiting on my TF-100 kit to arrive this week, but currently have to "trust" the late teen, early 20's pool store "professional" to run my CYA. So far 3 gals of 6% bleach and about 3 1/2 gal of 10% bleach used. What am I doing wrong?! Thanks in advance!

FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.5 (in the process of aerating to lower TA)
TA 160
CYA ?? was 45 on Saturday before 700 gal water addition and a couple of light rains

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Unfortunately, you are just stuck until that TF-100 arrives. No sweat. Just wait. You can add 1/2 gallon of regular bleach each evening and just wait. Your CYA could be completely different from what you heard before. No sense wasting energy. Post those TF-100 numbers when you get it and we'll go from there. Great to have you with us.

If my FC level was 2 and my water was clear I would happily swim in it.

Now - there is some chance that you've added a lot of chlorine and the test is bleaching out and giving a false low reading. Can you confirm how much chlorine you've added?

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA, so the water is safe and sanitary
FC is up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
Water is clear

If my FC level was 2 and my water was clear I would happily swim in it.

Now - there is some chance that you've added a lot of chlorine and the test is bleaching out and giving a false low reading. Can you confirm how much chlorine you've added?

Confirm as in did I really put that much bleach in?

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA, so the water is safe and sanitary
FC is up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
Water is clear

Thanks!!

SLAMming is a process. The more often you can check and add (after you get your kit) the faster it will go. Checking an hour after adding, at least at first can be ideal.

I'm quickly learning that. LOL

It's a big learning curve at first. Hang in there. Don't make any significant changes unt your kit arrives except for addi g the 1/2 jug of bleach like TA as Splash suggested.

Learning curve is an understatement. I was adding bleach and checking several hours later. I think I misunderstood the process. I need to be off of work to do the SLAM correctly so I can keep a close eye on it and keep the FC at SLAM level.

No worries. We ALL had to learn and navigate through pH this, FC that, CYA, huh??? etc. etc.

Relax. We can help!!!!

It is not advisable to try to slam without REALLY being able to home test. Now you have to be patient and wait for that testkit to arrive. Just the half jug for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TF-100 arrived yesterday. Tested water this morning:

pH 7.5
FC 7
CC 1
TA 430 ?!? (tested it with my old Leslie's kit and it showed 160) Added MA to try to get TA down.
CYA <20

Tested again about 1:45 pm

pH 7.5
TA 160 (matched old Leslie's kit results :?: Not sure what I did wrong on the morning test)

Question regarding CYA. If it's below 20, how do I determine correct amount of CYA to add? Is it safe to swim if FC is @ 7 with CYA is below recommended level? My 10 year old is chomping at the bit to swim.

CYA......you sure that dot was visible up to the 20 mark? Did you do the test in full sun with your back to the sun? Lighting is very important for that one test.

It is safe to swim at shock level for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

How much to add? Use pool math link at the top of the web page and put your pool volume in the top and your "now" readings as well as your targets. It will calculate for you.

CYA......you sure that dot was visible up to the 20 mark? Did you do the test in full sun with your back to the sun? Lighting is very important for that one test.

It is safe to swim at shock level for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

How much to add? Use pool math link at the top of the web page and put your pool volume in the top and your "now" readings as well as your targets. It will calculate for you.

It was past the 20 mark. Almost to the top of the vial. I tested inside before the sun came up and I could easily see the black dot. The Chlorine/CYA chart only goes down to 20. If I'm below that, I don't know if 7 FC is safe or too high.
As far as how much CYA to add, I guess I can start out as if I'm at 20 now, then check it again. If it's still below, say 40, I should be able to increase after testing again?

CYA......you sure that dot was visible up to the 20 mark? Did you do the test in full sun with your back to the sun? Lighting is very important for that one test....

Checked the CYA again today, in the sun with my back turned and held the vial at waist level, and got basically the same result. <20 CYA. Then I ran the CYA standard test to check my method, and got just slightly under 50, so my method is right. In the morning when I get off work, I'm going to pretend my CYA is at 20 and use the PoolMath calc and go with what it recommends. That should put me somewhere between 20-40. Then I'll recheck to get a better idea of where it is and go from there. I have to get the CYA up! Until then, I'm going through Cl like crazy!!!

Checked the CYA again today, in the sun with my back turned and held the vial at waist level, and got basically the same result. <20 CYA. Then I ran the CYA standard test to check my method, and got just slightly under 50, so my method is right. In the morning when I get off work, I'm going to pretend my CYA is at 20 and use the PoolMath calc and go with what it recommends. That should put me somewhere between 20-40. Then I'll recheck to get a better idea of where it is and go from there. I have to get the CYA up! Until then, I'm going through Cl like crazy!!!

Good plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.