Borax reacting with PAC?

willem

Jul 26, 2016
Jakarta
Hello,

First post so please bare with me :) I am in Jakarta and unfortunately there are not a whole lot of pool supplies available here. I can only test the chloride and ph. Lately, I have been doing ok using granular 90% chloride, a little copper sulfate to keep it from getting greenish, and once in awhile a little PAC to clean up the dirt. My outside pool is about a 100m3. My main problem is a low Ph (max 7). The PAC won't even work at first so I then add a few bags of soda ash until I see the PAC effect. I have wrinkled fingers within minutes and I think that is because of the low ph. So I decided to try something else. Borax!

Last week, I read about Borax and I found it online so I tried a few (3) kilo and the result was great. My water looked more clear, blue and sparkling than ever. I expected the ph to go up as well but that didn't happen strangely. So I went back to the old method and added just one kilo of soda ash. The water became cloudy but that didn't bother me as I seen that clear up within a day. The next day to my surprise I found that the water had cleared up but now there was a layer of blue slush on the bottom of the pool, and a greasy oily layer on top of the water. I figured the increase in ph triggered the PAC that probably was still in the water and had some reaction with the Borax. It is normal to see a layer of slush after using PAC, but never this blueish so it must have been the Borax.

I vacuumed the pool and the bottom is clear now, but the layer of whitish oily slime is still on the surface. So basically, I wonder if anyone knows if Borax tends to react to PAC. They don't sell the 20 Mule Team Borax here, but they sell 'homemade' Borax to make slime for kids or something. They sell it as Borax or Borax mule, but I am now doubting if it is really the same as 20 Mule Team Borax. Anyway, no more 'Borax' for me.

So how do I clean this up? I use the leaf skimmer but that not really helps a lot. I read about scum balls or pool enzymes but unfortunately they don't sell that here. Do I add PAC again, more chloride (already close to 3)? Wait for the acid rains to take care of it? Any natural products I could try? Thanks for your help.

That is a floc used to clump together fine particles to improve water clarity. I don't think it is reacting with Borax it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. Normally after adding a floc you should vacuum the material that settles out.

When you say chloride what do you mean? Chloride is salt. Do you mean chlorine?

Copper sulfate will accumulate copper in the pool and cause staining of the pool surface, water and light colored things.

Can you add your pool info to your signature and post test results as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Sorry, I meant chlorine. Indeed I am happy with the PAC. It works well, even with low ph, and it is probably the copper that is the cause of the blueish color. I read PAC can even take down the metals in the water. However, I never had the oily film on the water before and that is basically the problem I am struggling with now. I wonder if there is something natural to break it up. I am waiting for the rain also..lol. I am sorry, but there are no Taylor test kits available here. I can only say the pH is about 7, and the chlorine is about 3ppm.

Good news. The oily is almost gone. I guess I just had to be a bit patient and let the chlorine do its job. The pH is a bit higher also (7.2), but my fingers still wrinkle immediately so I guess that is not the answer. Maybe it is the chlorine then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.