Help with switching to chorine from perma salt

Jul 26, 2016
New Prague
Hi, I need help with my pool. I was sold a perma salt system last year and I hate it. We put in a 27 foot above ground pool. We are on well water. When I had a small pool from Walmart, I used chlorine and now I want to go with a chlorine pool again. How do I make the change? I noticed that you suggest a good test kit. I will order a good one asap - any recommendations? I don't believe I have a lot of copper in my water, but it is a cloudy mess. I put liquid chlorine in the pool and it reacts with the metal - makes the water reddish. I cleaned it out, but now it is cloudy. I have had everything from black, red color water, slimy feeling at bottom of pool to a horrible fishy smell. So if I go with chlorine, do I turn off the copper system? How much chlorine do I need to start? How do I stablilize the chlorine?

Thanks for helping me!! Thank you for welcoming me!

cppanka

Hi,
I got my test kit awhile ago. It has taken us a long time to get most of the copper out of the pool. We have had a clear pool for about a month. No one has been in the pool because it was a mess and now it is cold. I have been using the bleach to chlorinate the water lIke you told me and have been testing the water.

We are getting ready to close the pool, and are hoping for a better summer next year without permasalt. What I don't understand is the CYA. I tested the water, but it showed we have no CYA in the pool. We have never added it. I read up on the TFP forum about slamming the pool, but don't I have to add some CYA to the pool first.

Thanks for your help

How did you keep any chlorine in the pool with no CYA? How much chlorine did you add every day? What FC level did you target? This is kind of amazing.

They sell CYA at Wal Mart, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.