the correct way to add baking soda?

From the TFP Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page:
Baking soda can be added by spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

With a TA of 50, you shouldn't have to add too much right? Are you trying to sneak-up to about 60-70? As long as your pH is remaining stable, be cautious about raising the TA too much.

Not sure which type of pool you have since your signature is not updated, but most pools can safely have a TA at 60-70. If you raise the TA to 100, it could easily cause your pH to rise faster each week. We always recommend satisfying the pH stabilization first, and then leave the TA where it is. But if you are still wanting to raise the TA to 100, then you can add it to the deep end no problem. Baking soda sometimes pours-out in clumps, so you may want to tap the box/bag periodically so it flows in powder form. Any clumps will sink to the bottom and can be swept around to disperse.

Is your ph already holding steady? If so, as others suggest, no need to change it. That's what its job is.

If you do add more, use pool math to figure exactly how much and start in 1/3 increments.

I mix anything I add (except cya & bleach) in a 1 gallon bucket of water then pour it slowly over a return.

Is your ph already holding steady? If so, as others suggest, no need to change it. That's what its job is.

If you do add more, use pool math to figure exactly how much and start in 1/3 increments.

I mix anything I add (except cya & bleach) in a 1 gallon bucket of water then pour it slowly over a return.

the pH keeps going up, so I was thinking raising the buffer (TA) should keep the pH from going up all the time? pool is plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How much is it going up and at what rate i.e. Daily etc...?

I need to add a gallon of acid weekly

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, it works the opposite. The higher the TA the faster the pH change. I keep my TA at 50. As it goes any higher the pH rise moves quicker.

really? I thought the point of TA is to reduce pH fluctuation- this is the first place I am hearing the opposite

http://www.poolhelp.com/handouts/oB_A%20Deeper%20Look%20at%20Alkalinity%20Handout.pdf

Higher TA pushes PH up. Adding acid to lower PH will slowly lower TA until it finds equilibrium. Usually between 50 and 80. TA stops wild PH fluctuations, once TA is below 60 or 50 the PH it can swing up or down with little input. That is the part where it stabilizes PH.

Reactions: Tawan
This being my first full season after having two partial seasons, I will definitely be keeping my TA lower next year. I brought it up to 80 at the beginning of the season from the 50-60 range just because I thought it was the thing to do (reading to much here). I have decided to just "BE" the pool. Instead of using a few gallons or possibly more MA and trying to aerate to drop TA right now that I would just stay the coarse adding the little bit of MA to satisfy my testing. My pH tends to rise but not bad, just wish I had started lower and saw how it reacted.

A gallon a week sounds high, but your signature doesn't have any pool info in it. Since I dropped to about 50 TA last year my acid consumption is about 10 ounces a month. I also added Borates so that may make the difference too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.