Solar cover that doesn't deteriorate over 2 years?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm a little tired of replacing my BLUE SOLAR cover every 2 years after small blue pieces start floating around & ending in my Skimmer basket. And these things aren't inexpensive! Yea, I get it that the SUN & Chlorine suck the life out of them. We actually remove it & store it away from sunlight about 5 months of the year - over winter time. (California) The last 3 we bought from Leslie's pools. Are THEIR brands just inferior, or are ALL of these problematic?

Has anyone found a brand & thickness that actually LASTS more than a couple of years? Is the added expense worth it or do you just toss yours every couple of years

Any advice or link to some recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't found one that lasts more than a couple years. I stay away from the 8mil covers even though they are cheaper. I bought one once since none of them seem to last very long and it started falling apart after one year.

You might get one lasting 4 or 5 years, but they have really really heavy. I made the mistake of getting a long-lasting cover and I don't use it because it is nearly impossible to get on and off.

I'm on my 3rd season with the space age one with blue top and silver bottom. Some bubbles are broken but havent got pieces yet. Probably toss it this fall.
https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Canvas-SC-BS-000043-Rectangular-Inground/dp/B004VU8GY2

I checked the reviews on that ... not good ... Guess you are one of the lucky ones. Thanks though.

- - - Updated - - -

You might get one lasting 4 or 5 years, but they have really really heavy. I made the mistake of getting a long-lasting cover and I don't use it because it is nearly impossible to get on and off.

Good point.. Maybe I'll just stick with the 12 MIL one at AMAZON & expect 2 years of use ... It's cheaper ($112) than Leslie's pools & looks like the same product they sell for like almost $200 ! Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.