Mysterious overnight water loss

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
So early yesterday evening, I cleaned the pool, the water was a bit low, so I topped it off to where it should be, set the pump timer for 12 hours and left it alone. Apparently, there was a storm during the evening, and when I went out to look at the pool, the water was a few inches LOWER than where I left it. The skimmer was full of pine needles and leaves, so I cleaned those out. I can see water trickling out of the drain hose, but the valve is set on filter. I set the valve to CLOSE and water still trickles out. The ground and street don't look like water has been draining overnight. I'm at a loss as to where the water went.

I did look around the exterior of the pool looking for a leak, but I couldn't see any (but I had just rained last night).

If you catch the water coming out of the drain hose in a bucket, measure and time it you'd be able to see how much water is being wasted. If you know how much water it takes to drop an inch, you can see how much of the loss is from the drain line.

Quick Update: I did more testing/cleaning. As long as the valves were open to and from the pump/filter, water would leak out the drain no matter what the valve was set on. I could set the valve on closed, or filter, or whatever, but water would trickle out the waste line.

Maybe the 6-way valve has failed or the gasket inside it (I took it apart and cleaned the gasket, lubed it up, and put it all back together) has failed?

Sounds like a spider gasket issue. It might need to just be re-positioned or you might need to replace it.

Make sure to turn the value in only one direction (I only move mine clockwise) as it should help make it last longer.

Until a new part comes in run the hose over the side of the pool so you don't lose all the water. You could also choose to invest in a new sand filter and pump. Something like a Pentair or Hayward brand will have replacement parts that are much easier to find when needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.