I've Seen the Light

dropride

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2008
S. NH
So my fiancee and i bought a house a year and a half ago. It came with a ag pool. When we moved in it was already winterized so i left it alone till last spring. I didn't know much about pools so i took the advice of a coworker and went with baquagoo not knowing what the previous owners had used. For the first couple months it seemed to work alright. About august the water started getting cloudy and after several trips to the PS and spending money on all sorts of chemicals that i was assured would take care of it, it never cleared up. I got pretty discouraged after a few weeks and just let it go and closed it up shortly after. Fast forward till now and i started searching for other choices and found this site. After reading countless threads i decided to go with the BBB method. I received the TF100 kit yesterday and and went and picked up 10 gal. of liquid chlorine today. I started at about 1 this afternoon and kept taking samples every hour or so.

My first readings i took were
PH 7.2
FC 0
TA 90

The last readings
PH 8.2
FC 14
CC 1.5
TA 90

The fc stayed the same for the last couple of hours and i can actually see the bottom of the pool now. The only thing i see right now is my ph is climbing, should it be doing this while the conversion is being done or do i need to lower it now?

I'll have pics posted tomorrow.

:wave: Hi there

I'm no expert, but I'm just finishing my conversion and I couldn't be happier or more pleased by the results. My water just sparkles, something it NEVER did on Baquacil.

I see you bought the TF-100 test kit. Isn't it wonderful? I love it! No more guessing.

I can give you a little insight about my conversion. I have a 24 x 52 AG. It has taken about 8 days. My baquacil levels were fairly low because I closed my pool last september and didn't add any this spring when I opened up. It took me somewhere between 70-90 large jugs of bleach to kill all the baquacil. I didn't get all the funky colors everyone talks about, I guess because my levels were low. I did get a murky army green with white floaties on top. I'm assuming that was the baquacil dying.

I hit it hard with about 4 gallons of bleach every hour the first couple of days. At the end of the 2nd day, I had clearing water. Kind of a lime kool-aid green, but clear. By day 4 the water was really clear, except at the bottom. I just did my testing every couple of hours and added the amount recommended by the Pool calculator. Day 6, I was completely clear but not holding at 15ppm's of CC over nite. Last nite I held at about 13, so tonight I am crossing my fingers and hoping it holds at 15.

The more you keep at it the faster it will go and you will be amazed at the clarity!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress :)

dropride,

Welcome to the forum. Disregard your pH test results. Ph reads high in the presence of high chlorine (which you have).

Your pH was fine when you started the process and the process doesn't change it much. It sounds like you're making good progress. Keep the faith and keep putting in the chlorine.

Keep us posted.

I've been testing and adding all day today. Brushing, vaccuming, and backwashing. It's been nice and clear all day and the fc has only been dropping to 12-13 every test. I can't say enough about all the great people and info on this site and plan on becoming a lifetime member.

Welcome, Dropride :wave:

Sounds like you're doing great! We just finished our conversion and went swimming for the first time this year. It was so nice to be able to swim and not bump into walls because of the Baquacil cloudiness. You're gonna love it!

My fc only dropped to 11 over night so hopefully a few more days and i'll be there. My daughters been asking to go swimming for the last few weeks, so hopefully it will warm up some in the next week or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.