HELP!! Need some input on Skimmer and inlet placement.

Jul 26, 2016
Pineville
So I've put up an Intex rectangular pool that's 16x32 52" deep. I've had several intex pools in the past including the larger 3000gph sand filter they make which was a great filter . This pool came with a 2100gph or so filter that holds 75lbs of sand. It's not really good at all at moving the water... it really kinda sucks. The water also doesn't spin in this pool like a round one. So I've bought a 4500 gph 175lb sand filter, a real skimmer and two inlets.

Intex has really poor placement but I understand they have to stay within the reach of their hoses. I'll be hard piping all of this. I have two designs worked up but I can't decide as I don't know which will move the most water. With the sand clean I should be getting at least 2000 gph out of each inlet. Can any of the pros look at my pic here and see which will move the most water.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160726_104859_resized.jpg
    20160726_104859_resized.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 36
A: you may get eddys in the top left corner...

B: possible eddys in both lower corners but there may be eunf pressure to keep it circulating

You want as much positive flow past the skimmer as possible. Do you need to keep the jets on the same side?

I could move them to different sides although I'd like to keep them from the left or long back wall. With B I'm not sure if I'll have enough force to get the water moving on the back wall before it pulls back to the skimmer. With A I should have good movement but as you said that top left corner will probably sit. I guess if I went with A and it didn't move enough I could put a small inlet in that corner at later time.

Anything will be better than than the horrible flow I have now.

No intex has 2 suction (no skimmer) and a single inlet. The two inlets are centered on the pool side same wall about 5 feet apart. The suction is about 5 feet from the inlets. There's nothing to get water to the ends, also the little sand pump it comes with has very little output for this pool.

Would a new sand filter be in the budget? the one I have (in sig block) puts out 3000 gph and is obnoxious in my pool... I get a mini cyclone in the water strong enuf to push 4 us us around the pool with no help. With something like that you'd have no problems pushing water around

- - - Updated - - -

Duh.. you already said that...I didn't catch it before

- - - Updated - - -

B could work in theory with a 4500... how about adding 4 total... just stack them so you are moving water along the bottom as well

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe use the little sandy for a fountain or something

Yeah the new pump should make something happen! I was going to put the inlets about 18" below the water and aim them slightly down. I got the pump in today and just got the pad leveled and pump/filter set on it. Still waiting for 2 connectors so I can use my intex salt chlorination with it . Going with B I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.