New Northeastern Pa Build

just popping in to see what's up and happy new year!

man cold up here. so cold. i prob have 7 inches of ice on the water. it's buried under snow. i hope my skimmers are ok. i vacuumed the water out of them right before xmas and the last rainfall which was 1 inch of rain. checked water level too. it was 7 inches below bottom of water line. so we will see.

was planning on framing feburary to get a quick spring start on pool house. that ain't happening with how the weather is.

jim

did i mention i hate winter even more with having a pool now. lol 2 night already pumping water out. i kept an eye on the water till we went into the deep freeze. got spoiled these bast winters. washing trucks outside in january and december. it was warm. this year. we got that 6 inches of snow last week and then 2 plus inches of rain to thaw it all out. before the snow came i checked water level. i was 4.5 about below the tile. ok i'm good i figured.

then it all happened. came home tuesday. and water is like right at the tile. i got all flustered.

called my builder. pm'ed someone on here. they put me on the right path. texted by pool consultant who is the best teaher, but she is down south and doesn't know our winters so i knew i would get a good pep talk to keep me focused. lol you know who you are!

broke through the ice and started to pump. i got it down to about 6-7 inches below the tile but it took 2 nights in and out checking in the cold in the dark. pain. just a pain.

i am thinking i should take it down to the starting spot like in the fall but my builder said i shoudl stop here cause it's nice to have the ice at a higher level since the outside of the shell is the same. kind of like an insulator for each other vs having diff temps on each side of the wall.

what i'm worried about is a huge snow fall like last year in march. 30 inches out of nowhere!

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well i have been pumping water out the past few weeks. rain rain rain rain!

i also added chlorine the other day cause i was at 1 with a cya of prob 40-50. so way tooooo low. got it back up to 12 since getting closer to opening in a month i hope.

water is clear so i hope i'm ok with no algea.

i am starting to bother my buddy to start framing the pool house. i want to get on it so i can get my dad's friend to start the brick work before it gets too hot cause they are not getting any younger and i don't want them dropping in the hot sun this summer. lol

i have no idea how i'm goign to take care of the pool and handle the pool house and all the other construction going on.

jim

lol ya i hear ya. i poured in a gallon the other day. i pray it mixed enough! i ran the pump i put in the water fro 2 hours and used the brush to wave up the water. my reading after 2 hours was from the opposite end of the pool so i hope it mixed and didn't settle on the bottom. god only knows how bad my ph is right now. i'm not takign any chances mixing that in a pool without all the equipment running. i just hope i don't have any scale.

jim

ok so let's see. update. . .

1. snow. how much snow. . . 8 inches! ya and the ground was thawed out finally and drying up a bit!
2. shopping for a bot. harder than i thought. i started a thread maybe some have noticed that r following me. i'm either going with a m series or s series dolphin. but i deff want to have one for when i open the pool. that i know
3. we decided to change the ceiling for the pool house. i wanted coffer ceilings but the ceiling layout is kinda wonky to get even boxes so we decided to vault the fireplace living space and keep the kitchen area flat without coffers so we have more ceiling space for lighting to cook and for speakers. i still plan on starting mid month if the weather clears up.
4. ok the big thing. now we all know i get very nervous about things. so the other day i added chlorine to make sure i stay up incase of more snow. who worries too much now! it snowed. bam! 1 point for me thinking ahead! so when i took the cover back i was like huh water line is wet but water i 1 inch lower. i said ok its cause the cover hit the water and caused a wave. fast forward 3 days. i look out the winter to see the weather in the morning. and i see water by the pad. ya i go into 6 AM panic mode. go out. it's dripping from the inlet for the heater. so i instantly think water is leaving pool through floor return or any of the returns. i'm panicked but realize thats why the water level was low so it only happened 3 days ago and it's been warm. i call my builder. i waited till 7 AM. lol i know =he is down the diner for breakfast. i let him finish i assume. lol he came up at 8 and said he knew what happened. from me keeping the water low by the returns the ice froze and grabbed the wing nuts on them. then i lowered the water and the ice pulled on them more. then it thawed and they hoped out. so we pull back the cover. yup 2 popped out. water was coming through them to the pad cause my pad is lower than the pool. he said it happens but more so cause a. i keep the water lower to stay away fro the tile and b. i used eyeballs so they can't get the wing nut plugs way up the pipe incase the ice does pull on them and they come forward but not enough to come out of the pipe. so we pretty much recluse the pool. blew out everything again. we even blew out the floor return to make sure nothing got in there. the floor return was empty. we also blew out the other plug that didn't pop out for the other return. it took on some water cause they keep the one value open between sides to keep pressure even. so i'm all blown out and sealed up again. no damage we would assume since the ground was thawed and no ice in the lines.

so all that worrying pays off cause it caught a problem. ya it caused the problem too kinda but next year he said we will use caps that are threaded with o rings so there is nothing for the ice to grab onto since he knows i want to keep it low so it doesn't gert up by the tile.

so that's whats going on with me!

again thanks so much to everyone here that has been walking me off ledges with just listening to me and also for all those who have been so helpful! i appreciate you all so much!

jimi

ps still snowing! suppose to go to the flower show in phili tomorrow too. hopefully it clears up for the morning. its an easy 2 hr drive so we should be good as long as they keep the turnpike clean which they have been doing an awesome job of this year.

we are starting to get supply lists together for the pool house build. i called in the shingles yesterday just cause i wanted to make sure the lead time was still 1 week. they told me they discontinued the ones i have on my house! i said. . .. say what! ya since xmas they discontinued them. so mad. so the distribution house i have access to called around and found just enough left over for my job. 13 square only. thank goodness! i really didn't not want to have the shingles matching on my house and now pool house.

ok so here is the crazier part. . . . i approve the special order. it's double what i thought? i said guys i need 13 square not 26. they said ya they r this amount. i said guys that's double what i paid back in 2006. ya i know it's 12 years, but not 30 years ago. i get things go up but doubled! so i said let me ask say i went wit the 300 lb ones that don't match which are below the grade of what i have now. i said how much will i save cause double is a hard nut to shallow. they said ya they will be more. i said not the cheaper ones not mine. they said ya the landmarks which are below what you have are more now. lol i said get me my old ones but seriously double! i know this summer is not going to go well. i just got together my speaker runs and cat6a runs and some other odds and ends for low volt and it is adding up wicked quick. lol these super long runs from the house to out back and then broken out to the locations are really bumping up my material list. i have to use 12 gauge speaker wire vs 14 which is a lot more money. can i get away with 14 gauge ya prob but do i want to chance it. no.

but the shingles have me beside myself.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.