Solar cover falling apart

PYG

Sep 2, 2015
Halfmoon/NY
I am on my 2nd solar cover in 4 years. I have a 21 ft above ground radiant pool, which gets almost all sun from 10 am to 6 pm.
The first cover was a heavy blue solar cover. within 2-3 years the bubbles just fell right off and ended up in my sand filter.
We then bought a replacement cover 2 years ago, this time a clear, light weight cover.
Within the last week the bubbles are just falling off in certain spots and the seam of the cover is coming apart.
While SWMBO was convinced it was from pulling the cover on and off the pool and rubbing up against the coping clip.
I am of the believe that the combo of the sun and chlorine just destroys the cover.
Is there a way to prevent this destruction?
Is there a way to prolong the life of a solar cover?
Or is this just the cost of owning a pool that gets full sun?

Solar 1.jpgSolar 2 .jpg

Yep, 2-3 years is about all they are good for. Buy thin and buy cheap. They all seem to be about the same. A few folks report a little longer life with thicker covers but it doesn't seem worth the extra cost or heavier cover to lug around.

They don't last long if not properly taken care of. Don't fold them or roll them up and just leave them exposed to the sun while swimming. They need to be in the shade or covered. A cover left all on itself in the sun will break down super fast.

Sun and chemicals aren't the best for flimsy plastic, but scraping it over the coping is worse. We roll ours up every time because it makes putting it back on a lot easier. Two side effects are that it doesn't get dragged over the coping and it doesn't get dirty. If I have to take it off on my own I'll generally just bunch it up on the coping to avoid making the horrible pile on the ground that takes forever to get back on the pool.

Our pool gets full sun most of the day. Our first cover lasted two years just fine, then we replaced the pool. Its cover is well into its second year without showing much aging. We're not trying for longevity, though, just ease of use.

Reactions: JayH
Thanks for info.
Generally when we take the cover off we roll it & fold it up and leave it on a table on the outside of the pool. It will sit in under a peach tree and get not as much sun.
However most times I just slightly roll up the cover and leave each end over the side to keep the cover from floating into the pool.
I am just amazed out how quick the cover went from usable to shredding in the last week!

Something I was recently told too, as I just had to replace mine after about 3 years of use, was that you're supposed to take the solar cover off your pool when you shock it, as the super high doses of chlorine just eat at it quicker. Although I also had mine on when I shocked and it did last 3 years, so that may have just been pool store sales guy trying to sell me stuff talk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.