God help me lol

Jul 22, 2015
Knoxville
OK folks firstly thank you for all u do to save us a ton of money, I come here in search of help as I have before.... pool water is cloudy in the deep end tried slamming with gallons and gallons of 10% chlorine (between 4 and 6 gallons everyday for a week) while vacuuming frequently and brushing twice a day test levels tf100
Fc-5
Cc--0
Ph-7.4
Ta-120
Ch-225
Cya-between 0 and 20
Which brings me here it seems I'm going through chlorine at a alarming rate to keep the fc correct I have added 8lbs of Cya and just can't get those numbers to come up at all

Completely clear when filled all the way to the top

- - - Updated - - -

Also some more info, water was so cloudy a week ago I couldn't even see the floor in the shallow end and have been running pump/filter 24 hrs a day for over a week now the shadow end looks great but just can't get the deep end worked out

Ok, I don't know why the CYA you added didn't increase your levels, but you don't currently have any active in your pool and your chlorine is burning away more quickly than it should. For a pool your size your need to add about 7 lbs to reach 30 pmm of CYA. Look for containers of conditioner or stabilizer with 99% CYA as the main ingredient. Put 1/2 the CYA in a clean white sock, tie it off and place it in the skimmer. Give it a few squeezes to get started and keep the pump running until it has all dissolved out of the sock. Add the other 1/2 of the CYA using the same method. Assume the CYA level is 30 and dose the pool accordingly. Your shock level with be 10ppm FC. Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to determine how much chlorine you need to hit 10 ppm. Keep brushing and vacuuming daily, and raise the FC to 10ppm every couple of hours as much as you can.

OK friends here are the tf100 tests from today and the pool store results
Tf100:
Fc- 12
Cc-.5
Ch-225
Ph-7.4
Ta- 120
Cya-0
For giggles I had the pool store test it as well
Pool store:
Tc-2.5
Fc-2.5
Ph-7.4
Ta-125
Ch-250
Cya-90
Now with that said I had added 4 gallons of 10 percent chlorine last night late and as far as the Cya test she did a manual (similar to the tf100) test after the first test and she came up with a cya of 40 I'm clueless as to which test is lying to me lol please help I did purchase some non chlorine shock cause it was cheap and they said for me to buy a bottle of clarifier to the tune of 15 more dollars please help me lol and she was saying that the Liquid chlorine I was using wouldn't be as effective as the 55 percent granulated chlorine that they sell there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You said in your first post that you added 8lbs of stabilizer. That should have put you at just under 40ppm for CYA if you had none to start with. Then if you followed zea3's advice and added another 7lbs of stabilizer that should put you around 70ppm CYA. Again provided that you had no CYA at all in your water. I'm inclined to believe that the pool store test for CYA may be correct and you have somewhere around 90ppm now.
Could you walk us through step by step how you are testing for CYA? You might be missing a step or procedure and not realize it. We can double check your methods to ensure you get proper test results.

Do not buy any pool store potions, non-Chlorine shock will use up some chlorine to oxidize it, clarifier will only gunk up your filter and use up some chlorine to oxidize it. Granulated forms of chlorine add CYA or calcium and more than likely it is CYA. Stay out of the pool store as they just want to sell you stuff. They may test your water for free (with inaccurate results), but they will surely try to sell you something, so ain't really free. Pool store testing of CYA is usually highly inaccurate.

The CYA test is a light sensitive turbidity test. Make sure that you are doing the CYA test correctly, full sunlight, back to the sun, vial at waist level, holding it with two fingers. If these steps are not followed, then the results are inaccurate. You can pour the solution back and forth to confirm your results, or have someone else look at it. Some like to pour to the 100 level and glance, pour to the 90 level and glance... etc. Results are always rounded up, so if the dot disappears between 30 and 40, round it up to 40.

We can't give recommendations until the CYA issue is resolved. We've all struggled with this test in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it.

CYA can take a few hours to show up on the test after it has been fully dissolved.

Sorry for the delay I was out vacuuming the pool, OK here's the thing I didn't add any cya since about 2 weeks ago but my test methods may have been off I have been reading my cya test in the comfort of the shade of my 3 season porch but I will retest in the morning with my back to the sun, I fill the cya bottle to the bottom of the label with pool water and then add r0013 to the top of the label mix let sit 30 secs to a min mix again and hold the cya tube about waist level and slowly start to fill tube stopping when I lose sight of the black dot. And I absolutely agree with don't trust the pool fools, with u guys and my tf100 I have maintained a trouble free sparkling oasis, just somethings off a little as I haven't really gotten the sparkle I know and love since i opened the pool in april

OK pool forum family my tf100 readings today are:
Fc 9
Cc 0
Ta 120
Ch 225
PH 7.4
Cya is looking like 20 gets cloudy now that I'm testing it in the sun with my back to it sorry for the rookie move on that one, vacuuming and brushing in between as much as possible

Added the last 4lbs about 2 weeks ago broadcasted, backwashed yesterday after vacuuming cause the filter pressure raised up 50 percent after vacuuming up what I believe was dead algae

It sounds like you vacuumed up then backwashed the CYA, so effectively those 4 lbs were removed completely before they got a chance to dissolve.

Or did you see the floor and the cya was dissolved?

I think you need to find a friend with a pool or make one and then run a CYA test on their pool. Preferably someone who is also doing their own testing and maintenance and knows where theirs is at and has been stable for some time. Maybe your chemical is old ??
Seems like for as much CYA as you've dumped in you should be reading higher than 20.
The sock in front of the return is the best method I've found. I tend to take the time to knead it as it dissolves much quicker that way.

Attachments

• Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 1 sm.jpg
    Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 1 sm.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    Stabilizer CYA Swimming pool add using sock 2 sm.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 193
I appreciate the replies and advice, that said I added the last of the Cya about 2 weeks ago brushed several times, vacuumed several times back washed about a week later, and having to drain quite a bit of water as we had a large amount of rain so maybe it just flushed out possibly idk, so I'm gonna try and add a little bit (about a pound or so) by sock method as see if I get a change on my test

- - - Updated - - -

And borjis at the time I couldn't see the floor cause of the heavy cloudiness

OK folks just checking in, so far the pool is clearing up slowly, I've been running my fc on the high side pouring plenty of jugs a day in there every day, still haven't gotten a good cya test with the tf100 so I went on and ordered a refill kit cause I'm running low on some chems and for it thinking maybe my reagents are sour but I may have of had an issue with the ordering process (waiting to hear back from the folks there) so that said pump is running 24/7 and I can see the floor at 10ft and the main drain woohoo

OK ladies and gentlemen checking in again this morning got up and tested
Fc 17
Cc 00
All the other tests haven't varied much at all and in anxiously waiting for the refill from tftestkits so I can get an accurate cya reading but the pool looks 100x better than it has I'm months (side note though I've switched from using the 10% liquid bought from Walmart to just 8.25% bleach and feel it's accomplished more in the last 3 days than the 10% go figureuploadfromtaptalk1469886397589.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.