Losing pressure?

Jul 2, 2009
NE, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all!! I am experiencing problems with my pentair pump. The pool seems to operate normal when both skimmer and main drain are pulling water. The problem comes when I switch the diverter valve to skimmer only. The water level in the strainer basket immediately drops by 20% or so then the pool slowly loses pressure. Once the diverter valve is turned back to both skimmer and main drain the pool will recover and seems to run fine. The same thing happens if I turn the diverter to main drain only. The pool also loses prime if turned off for more than 30 mins to an hour. When the pool is running, there are no air bubbles in the strainer basket. We recently replaced the strainer lid and gasket and also replaced a gasket in the diverter valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Pentair challenger 1.5 hp

Hi all!! I am experiencing problems with my pentair pump. The pool seems to operate normal when both skimmer and main drain are pulling water. The problem comes when I switch the diverter valve to skimmer only. The water level in the strainer basket immediately drops by 20% or so then the pool slowly loses pressure. Once the diverter valve is turned back to both skimmer and main drain the pool will recover and seems to run fine. The same thing happens if I turn the diverter to main drain only. The pool also loses prime if turned off for more than 30 mins to an hour. When the pool is running, there are no air bubbles in the strainer basket. We recently replaced the strainer lid and gasket and also replaced a gasket in the diverter valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Pentair challenger 1.5 hp

sounds like you meant 'pump' where you wrote 'pool'. Anyway, I'd recheck parts you replaced, as they might very well be responsible.

The first thing to break is the last thing you fixed!

What size are the pipes coming from the skimmer to the pump?

I believe the pipe is 1.5 inches. I'll get my husband to double check.

The pool has been having problems most of the summer. The lid and gaskets were replaced in an attempt to fix the problem. I'm not good with pool lingo so I may have called some parts by the wrong name. When I said the diverter gasket I was referring to the gasket on the valve that changes the suction from the skimmer to the main drain.

Also, I noticed tonight the pump lost prime within 5-10 mins of being turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.