Pump psi seems too low

Jul 25, 2016
Auburn, IL
We just got a doughboy desert Sierra 24 foot round 52 ". It has a media master sand filter. When it first got started it was running at 10 psi. I then vaccumed pool and emptied the basket on the pump that was full of leaves and since then It is only running at about 5-6 psi. Is that normal?

Welcome to the forum!

No, what probably happened is that some of those leaves got stuck in the impeller. Take out the pump basket and there is a hole at the bottom of the basket area. Reach in and see if anything is stuck in there. If you cannot feel anything, you may need to take apart the pump but hopefully you can reach it from the basket area.

Check the skimmer and returns for a valve. For an AG pool, you must have valves on the suction and returns lines in order to maintain the equipment.

On my Pool I had to add a Valve on both lines.
You can use a good quality Duct tape on the Discharge Hose inside the pool in the water.
Then put something in the skimmer to block the hole. I used a toilet tank flapper thing.
Leaks some but may give you enough blockage to work quickly.

There were several leaves stuck inside the impeller of the pump. I got them all out and pump is running at 13-14 on high. Thanks!! When I turn it to low setting its only at about 3 psi. I'm guessing that is normal??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.