Worst that pool has ever looked

Aug 20, 2015
Georgia
Been gone on vacation and pool hasn't been checked in 2 weeks, temp has gone up in last few weeks and I guess thats what did me in. Got home overnight and this morning immediately saw green gunite pool. On closer observation water was clear just green on walls and especially floor. Checked SWG and flashing no salt. Mine doesn't have digital reading, just flashes if low, (Intellichlor). Checked with my taylor kit and ph.8, FC pretty nonexistent. Took water to pool store because I knew I needed to get acid and salt at least. I ran out of solution for Cya test but store said it was 50 a little over a month ago. I just was going to let them check CYA since I didn't think added that very often. Their results by computer today were FC 0, ph 8.6, calcium 202, alk 90, Cya16, copper 0, iron 1, salt 2860. They said to add 1/2 of 6lb bottle CYA today and gallon of muriatic acid to get way ph down. Then to add yellow out and 2( 1 lb) packs of shock. Wife wanted me to do what store said and not add bleach but I decided to try and attempt a SLAM. Ive been checking pool every 2 hours and haven't been able to get FC greater that 1.5-2. So far I've added 8 gallons of bleach as well as the 2 shocks. When I put the r-0870 2 scoops have to stir it around awhile before turns pink and then doesn't take much 871 to get clear. Usually immediatly turns pink when scoops go in. Just went back and it was turned back pink again, didn't dump it after checking last time, is that normal? I usually immediatly dump it. Pool bottom was clearing up well where the shock went on bottom. I brushed it about 2 hours ago and pool is still green and can't even see bottom in shallow end. I maybe shouldn't have brushed it yet. Should I just let it rest and check it tomorrow or keep adding bleach?

Been gone on vacation and pool hasn't been checked in 2 weeks, temp has gone up in last few weeks and I guess thats what did me in. Got home overnight and this morning immediately saw green gunite pool. On closer observation water was clear just green on walls and especially floor. Checked SWG and flashing no salt. Mine doesn't have digital reading, just flashes if low, (Intellichlor). Checked with my taylor kit and ph.8, FC pretty nonexistent. Took water to pool store because I knew I needed to get acid and salt at least. I ran out of solution for Cya test but store said it was 50 a little over a month ago. I just was going to let them check CYA since I didn't think added that very often. Their results by computer today were FC 0, ph 8.6, calcium 202, alk 90, Cya16, copper 0, iron 1, salt 2860. They said to add 1/2 of 6lb bottle CYA today and gallon of muriatic acid to get way ph down. Then to add yellow out and 2( 1 lb) packs of shock. Wife wanted me to do what store said and not add bleach but I decided to try and attempt a SLAM. Ive been checking pool every 2 hours and haven't been able to get FC greater that 1.5-2. So far I've added 8 gallons of bleach as well as the 2 shocks. When I put the r-0870 2 scoops have to stir it around awhile before turns pink and then doesn't take much 871 to get clear. Usually immediatly turns pink when scoops go in. Just went back and it was turned back pink again, didn't dump it after checking last time, is that normal? I usually immediatly dump it. Pool bottom was clearing up well where the shock went on bottom. I brushed it about 2 hours ago and pool is still green and can't even see bottom in shallow end. I maybe shouldn't have brushed it yet. Should I just let it rest and check it tomorrow or keep adding bleach?

if you need help from this forum then it requires commitment: either TFP way or- you got the idea :) Please put your pool / test kit details in your sig and post following test results if you already have one of the recommended kits:
FC =
CC =
CYA =
pH =

water temp =

make sure your pump & filter are both in working order, stock up on bleach and don't add anything in the water besides bleach unless someone from around here asks you to. It took days to get green it will take days to clear up, be patient.

Latest results tonight,
FC 6
CC .5
pH7.0, innacurate due to slam I assume
CYA 16 per store, CYA added today, I need to order more test agent
temp 87

Water is now blue, but so cloudy can only see steps in shallow end, unable to see tiles on floor. The water was clear today with only green on bottom/sides, when I brushed this afternoon it turned whole pool green. I added my last 2 gallons of bleach just now and will recheck in early am before work. I will have my wife check pool tomorrow and get more bleach to add while I'm working. Thanks for all the help, never had pool look like this in 11 years. I hate the kids can't use the pool their last week of summer, maybe in the next few days.

Latest results tonight,
FC 6
CC .5
pH7.0, innacurate due to slam I assume
CYA 16 per store, CYA added today, I need to order more test agent
temp 87

Water is now blue, but so cloudy can only see steps in shallow end, unable to see tiles on floor. The water was clear today with only green on bottom/sides, when I brushed this afternoon it turned whole pool green. I added my last 2 gallons of bleach just now and will recheck in early am before work. I will have my wife check pool tomorrow and get more bleach to add while I'm working. Thanks for all the help, never had pool look like this in 11 years. I hate the kids can't use the pool their last week of summer, maybe in the next few days.

if FC was measured before adding 2 gal of bleach you should be at FC 15 after adding them according to PoolMath. If you measured pH at FC 6 it was valid. Is your filter/pump working well? They need to, something has to remove the dead algae- the more you can keep things circulating/moving the faster it will go. Once I got a lot of fine dirt in my pool from the storm, I couldn't see PoolCleaner on deep end and it was all gone the next day. I had to brush the walls and PoolCleaner cleaning the bottom. Granted, it was just dirt but if filter/pump are doing their job cloudy water is not a big deal.

I'd leave CYA alone for now- if your daily FC loss is not substantially higher than overnight it would mean you got enough CYA already. It's hard to get rid of its excess later.

I'm surprised the ph dropped from 8.6 to below 7 with one gallon. Should I wait and not add the other half jug of CYA tomorrow as directed by store to get level back up? Just instructed my wife how to do the FC, CC and ph tomorrow for me. She hasnt used Taylor kit at all, only generic kit from pool store.

I'm surprised the ph dropped from 8.6 to below 7 with one gallon. Should I wait and not add the other half jug of CYA tomorrow as directed by store to get level back up? Just instructed my wife how to do the FC, CC and ph tomorrow for me. She hasnt used Taylor kit at all, only generic kit from pool store.

I'd not add any more CYA until I get refill for reagent. You main focus should be FC/CC and filter/pump/brushing. Please recall measuring pH at SLAM levels is not going to produce correct results. You'll have plenty of time to adjust the rest later. Please use liquid chlorine (bleach) to maintain your FC exclusively, no packs, tabs, any other forms of chlorine until you finish SLAM and pass OCLT. If you can't ignore pool store sales pressure buy bleach elsewhere. I'd turn off your SWG for the SLAM to remove extra variable.

Would having pool blanket on help keep chlorine in so water wouldn't be in direct sun? I have a thermal blanket that we used to warm pool, removed it right before vacation, maybe that helped lose chorine and turn green. We've been pulling it off to swim and replacing to keep warmth in at night. The pool is screened in and 8 degrees cooler than neighbors uncovered pool

Wife just checked pool
pH 7.2
FC 18
CC >18
She stopped at 36 drops on 10ml sample, didn't want to use anymore. I've never had CC higher tha 1.5, is > 18 normal with slam? Said pool is blue but can't see bottom to see if algae present.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How high should I get FC and maintain? The chart I saw doesn't start until CYA of 60 with SWG. My cya was 16 at pool store and they had me add 3lbs of stabilizer 1st day. Skipped adding the 2nd 3lbs today as recommended here on forum. I was thinking 20, is that reasonable or too high? Is it so cloudy because I brushed it yesterday or is the high chlorine? Wasn't cloudy at all prior to brushing, just algae on floor/sides. Maybe I should've just vacuumed it.

How high should I get FC and maintain? The chart I saw doesn't start until CYA of 60 with SWG. My cya was 16 at pool store and they had me add 3lbs of stabilizer 1st day. Skipped adding the 2nd 3lbs today as recommended here on forum. I was thinking 20, is that reasonable or too high? Is it so cloudy because I brushed it yesterday or is the high chlorine? Wasn't cloudy at all prior to brushing, just algae on floor/sides. Maybe I should've just vacuumed it.

have you received CYA reagent refill? If you post your CYA test result we could advise on target FC more meaningfully.

Pool water is clear today, big imptovement. There is some grey colored residue in corners and near wall. Will vacuum today when I get home from work.
FC 20
CC .5
pH 7.4

CYA reagent has been ordered from tftestkits.net, will check level when arrives and update.

Pool looks great, crystal clear and no algae showing up on bottom or sides, last vacuumed 2 days ago. I received my reagent refills today, quick shipping from TFTestkits.net

Today's results
pH 7.4
FC 14.5
CC 0.5
CYA 30
TA 80
CH 360

Going to add some CYA and turn SWG back on at 40% and keep close eye on levels. I usually keep it on 60% and have fine chorine levels but letting it slowly drop down to normal now. It dropped from 22 - 14.5 in 2 days since running out of reagent. I need to get some reagent to check my salt level so I know when it is getting close to low, not waiting on the LOW/ADD light to come on. Thanks for everyones help in making pool nice again.

Glad to see things are improving for you. Looks like you've made quite a transformation. Say, to complete this SLAM, did you ever do the Overnight (OCLT) test? I didn't see that in your last few posts unless I skimmed over it. That is of course of the three SLAM criteria before letting the FC come down. I'd hate to see you stop prematurely only to have algae return. Just wanted to confirm. Have a nice weekend.

I didn't do only because I was out of reagent until today, according to my SLAM calculation in only needed to get above 12 FC w CYA of 30 but I've been up to 22. I can do and OCLT tonight. Do I leave pump on w swg off , or turn everything off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.