CYA Testing standard R-7065

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
I recently saw where tftestkits offered a standard 50 ppm reagent R-7065. I thought I'd try to test my CYA results and I'm confused. I received the R-7065 and a brand new bottle of R-0013 and proceeded with the test. I did the test 4 times and came with a CYA of 30. I did it again with a new sample 4 more times and got the same results. I checked it the kitchen with florescent lights, without lights, outside in the shade, outside with the sun at my back. I even, without looking for the black dot, filled the view tube to the 50 line, and looked for the dot. I could clearly see it, with a glance, staring at, even with one eye closed, etc. Do I have super human vision, or am I missing something? My actual sample from my pool reads CYA of 40.
FC 2.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
Etc.

I'm running my SWG longer than normal and my FC seems to hover around 2.5. I feel like the sun is eating it up because my CYA is too low. I know with SWG I should target 70, but these readings have me concerned that I really don't know what my CYA is. Any suggestions? ?

- - - Updated - - -

Water is spakling crystal clear BTW, just want to keep it that way...

Just in case this is helpful... have you tried the test while making sure you hold the viewing tube by the top edge of the tube? The light needs to penetrate the solution to light up the particles suspended in the water, but not so bright that direct light is hitting the dot on the bottom.

Quite a few people have run into this issue, and TF maintains that the standard solution and reagent are correct. So the idea is to fill the viewing tube and then wander around your place until you find the lighting conditions that work for you for that test. Yeh, I know, sounds like you already did that, super-human vision and all! :)

Good to hear about some nice TFP water!

Ok, so I did see some other threads on this and it looks to be pretty consistent with what others are getting. I think I can extrapolate based on this test what my CYA actually is. I just don't want to screw up my water. Is really is perfect right now.

Well I guess my vision is horrible because I have the opposite problem :)

Using the known 50ppm sample, I have to take it up to where I can no longer see the dot and then shoot a couple more quick squirts (taking it from, say, 60, up (or down as it were) to 50)). I'm careful to do the same with my water sample. Having done it a half dozen times I'm fairly confident of my readings now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.