New pool - Long Island, New York

Jul 23, 2016
Long island,NY
Hello everyone.

I was very happy to find this site, there are somany excellent posts full of great information. I have enjoyed reading andlooking at everyone’s great pool projects too.

I’m soon to be first time pool owner. After along time saving we have decided to pull the trigger this year. After researching, interviewing, and reviewing bids from 3excellent builders we have decided on one. I’ve visited pools underconstruction and some that are a few years old. From what I saw they all lookedwell built. I’ve spoken with customersand everyone reports excellent experience with the builder. Pool will be installed this fall. Pavers, landscaping and waterfall will be installed next spring.

We researchedfiberglass, steel, and concrete pools. We decided to go with concrete with a vinylliner. We have a small backyard and have to deal with 5ft setbacks so the poolwill have to be on the small side approx.30x15x19.

I would like to hear your thoughts on our plans. We still have time for changes. I especially would like to know your opinions ongoing with a wedge bottom. We were in a much smaller 10x20 3.5ft to 5ft wedge pool earlier this year while on vacation. Family enjoyed it and didn’t miss having a 8ft deep end. To have a deep end we would have to have a very small shallow endwith a fast drop off. We are not looking to install a slide or jumping rockso we are leaning on going with the wedge. Just not sure if we should stay with 5.5ft or consider a different depth.

Thanks in advance.Dan
As of now we are going with the following setup:
Free formed 30x15x19 concrete 10 inch walled pool (4000psiwith rebar) vinyl liner with padding (28mil sides and bottom) 3.5 to 5.5 ft wedge hardbottom. The pool will have a flat area after the last step 3.5ft and then decline to5.5 feet. Dual bottom floor returns, 2step returns, 3 bench seat returns, 2 side wall returns, and 2 skimmers.Plumbing is 2in PVC. Jandy valves. Jandy subpanel.
Loop loc 28mil sand pebble with no border
Concrete texture vinyl lined in pool steps with 2 returns
Bench seat with 3 returns
Water falls (small to match size of the pool)
3 Jandy nichless LED’s 30 watt
Jandy vs flopro 1.65 HP 8 speed pump
Jandy CV 460 Cartridge filter
Aqua Comfort ACT 125 BTU heat pump
Auto pilot RC 35 SWG
Polaris 9450 cleaner
Merlin Smart Mesh cover

We are debating the same as far as depth of the "deep" end. I say 5 or 5.5 is enough, my husband wants 6 feet for the kids to jump. We'll have a bit more length in our pool being we bumped up to 42 feet in length, but in all the pools we've been in, anything deeper than an adult can stand in gets little use over time.

Thanks guys. Yes Ponygirl, I think your right 5-5.5 is enough for my size pool. 42 ft length is great length and gives you guys many options. I'm a little concerned about kids jumping in but same can be said about jumping in the swallow end. Crazy how such a great purchase can be so stressful! I'm confident in our PB and his option. Just wanted to see how other owners feel about wedge bottoms. Thanks again.

Plumbing and back fill were completed. PB took measurements for the liner. We are still deciding on the size of the waterfall for the back corner. Love to see your photos for ideas. We would like to keep everything in proportion. So we don't want to go too high. Due to the grade difference we will be installing large rocks on both sides of the waterfall tapering down to level ground.

IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1056.JPGIMG_1059.JPGIMG_1049.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost ready for liner and fill!IMG_1082.JPG
69c3778323717f584ad5338e27d65521.jpg
7c60144756ccd605472083a056a097ae.jpg
434a79e49b1812d7442bef25b6a025c2.jpg
833fce5070152970ea02f5bd8e39ea7d.jpg

I'm going to add some home automation later so I wanted the space to add the equipment. I didn't want everything on 4x4 wood poles. I picked up 2" ridge steel pipes, u bolts, spring nuts, and super strut mounting channels. About $125 in parts. Had everything ready for the electricians and they had no issues with using the parts I supplied. Electrical inspector was very impressed too. I also upgraded to a 80 amp sub panel so I can run all my outdoor lighting and outlets back to the pool panel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi.

Hate to do it but I'm going to start the pool up on Friday and close it next Monday. I'm going to use the TFP pool school suggested closing for chemistry. PB is doing the first equipment closing and freeze protection. Any other advise for first closing?

Jandy leds

2cf55cd44703c010a0d6fa48e97fc65c.jpg
8b658013da41f3e288931f41a347e03c.jpg

Nice! I've never heard anyone say they were underwhelmed with the look of colored LED's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.