Intex Filter problem - combating algae

Hi Jolane, welcome to TFP! :wave:

You can put your specs in your signature line - go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit signature. Put all your pool/equipment info there, then you won't have to repeat it, and we won't have to search for it. :wink:

No. The filter is what clears the water of the dead algae. Intex are notorious for being inadequate filters once a problem like algae develops. With the filters, which are disposable, they should be tossed with normal use every 2 weeks. With algae, I suspect they won't last a week, and you need to hose them off frequently because of the clogging you describe.

If you could post a full set of water test results, we may help you better.

(Many Intex users figure out a way to vacume to waste. Once the algae is all dead, they shut the pump off, the gunk settles to the bottom, and they vacume to the yard, bypassing the filter. It does waste a lot of water this way, but often it's the only solution short of draining and refilling to start over.)

Are you certain your algae is dead?

If you haven't read Pool School, that's a great place to start. I also would advise you to invest in a good test kit. If you prevent algae in the firstplace thru proper testing and water maintenance, then the filters shouldn't be as much of an issue. :wink:

Hope this helps.

If you have an Intex pool you will want to use some Mule Team Borax in it. It will go a long way in keeping your little pool sparkeling. I buy several of the filters and spray them of every few days with a hose. Its a pain to really clean the yuck out of all those pleats but it will make them last longer. Using a pantyhose in your skimmer will help you use them more effeciently too. The biggest problem with the little pools besides the inadquet filter is too much cya from using the pucks... Kimrst

Thanks for all the tips. Still working on this.
Test Results
FC=15-20
TC=10.2
CC-5
PH=7.5
CH=270
CYA=30
TA=180

This DPT test kit is all new to me. The chlorine test does not go high enough so thats a guesstimate.

Been filtering for the past few days. Figured out the pump problem. It was crystalization in the skimmer from last yr. I have soaked and sprayed the filters till I m blue in the face. :rant: Oh well. The good thing is I can finally see the bottom, as long as I don't stir it up. OH by the way I have read most of the posts and pool school since last yr.. It really helped out especially The BBB. I use pure bleach now.
Anyway, what can I do now? :roll:

Continue to shock your pool until:

Your FC holds overnight or you lose less than 1ppm;
your CC is .5 or less;
your water is clear.

Also, order an FAS-DPD test, for about $25 - from either TFtestkits.net or Taylor's website. You need to be able to test FC higher than 10 and your testkit won't do that.

Personally I gave up on the Intex filters.
I have both a 1500 gph and a 500 gph unit. For filtering performance they are both about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

I decided to use the 1500 gph unit simply as a fast pump and use a bio diesel filter bag to filter everything including algae. It works a treat. A few days ago we went from Green to clean in about four hours.

ps. I took the filter cartridge out.

Reactions: blackS4
frustratedpoolmom said:
Hi Jolane, welcome to TFP! :wave:

You can put your specs in your signature line - go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit signature. Put all your pool/equipment info there, then you won't have to repeat it, and we won't have to search for it. :wink:

No. The filter is what clears the water of the dead algae. Intex are notorious for being inadequate filters once a problem like algae develops. With the filters, which are disposable, they should be tossed with normal use every 2 weeks. With algae, I suspect they won't last a week, and you need to hose them off frequently because of the clogging you describe.

If you could post a full set of water test results, we may help you better.

(Many Intex users figure out a way to vacume to waste. Once the algae is all dead, they shut the pump off, the gunk settles to the bottom, and they vacume to the yard, bypassing the filter. It does waste a lot of water this way, but often it's the only solution short of draining and refilling to start over.)

Are you certain your algae is dead?

If you haven't read Pool School, that's a great place to start. I also would advise you to invest in a good test kit. If you prevent algae in the firstplace thru proper testing and water maintenance, then the filters shouldn't be as much of an issue. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Poolmom...I suspect that with algae clogging filter, you would be lucky to get more than a day or two out of the disposable cartridges I would suggest getting 4 or 5 and rotating them out once a day...cleaning and then reusing for another day...I would not use them more than two or three times when filtering a pool with algae...they just ren't made for that. You also could try soaking them in bleach after cleaning...for added little kick...This is what i used to do with my pool when I had and intex...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cubbybeave08 said:
http://www.filterbag.com/size.html

Biodiesel filter bags...Check it out...Could be useful for pools!!!

Sorry for the late reply.

That's the sort of thing, although we got ones on Ebay, 30 inches long for a lot cheaper.
They have done a great job in filtering the pool all summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.