Raised Spa with waterfall drains

Jul 25, 2016
Cathedral City, Ca
I recently remodeled my in-ground swimming pool. New plaster, pentair variable speed pump, jandy valves, pentair 400K heater and new tiles. We also installed the split drains and a new skimmer was needed. When the house was purchased in 2010 the waterfall from the spa into the pool was a "feature" that could be turned on and off. A few months after ownership the spa would drain down to the pool level when the pump turned off. To correct the immediate problem we turned on the waterfall and the spa no longer drained. I had two estimates from pool contractors that said they would fix the check valve so that this would not happen in the future. I decided to go with a pool contractor that came highly recommended by the landscaper. The pool still has the same problem as before and the waterfall must be on when the pump is on. I'm no engineer, but this makes no sense. Suppose in summer you want to take a spa, so when the pump turns on the following morning the 104 degree water will then go into the 90+ degree pool? The contractor said there was no check valve, we had believed it was by or at the spa, not a great place to put it but in 1985 they did what they wanted to.

I would appreciate any ideas to correct this problem or should I just learn to live with it. The pool was looking old, but it held water and worked just fine with the waterfall running. I spent a lot of money to have this result.

Thank you.

If there wasn't a check valve you can always add one and that will fix your problem. but there had to be one a lot of contractors back in the day buried there check valves under ground making it hard to fix when there is an issue just add one on the spa return pipe easy fix

If there wasn't a check valve you can always add one and that will fix your problem. but there had to be one a lot of contractors back in the day buried there check valves under ground making it hard to fix when there is an issue just add one on the spa return pipe easy fix

I have a new problem, the spa now drains during the evening hours (off for about 12) about 3" below the tile line. The contractor came and we decided that it was not a leak. He did a die test as well as the water raises the level of the pool. This is a new issue from turning off the waterfall drains the pool completely down to the pool level. I am of the belief that the problem lies out by the spa/pool and there could possibly be a check valve there. He did install a new check valve by the equipment.

Somehow the water is transferring from the spa to the pool and visa versa. He argues with me that the waterfall must be on when the pump is on. This just does not seem right as it worked fine when I bought the house (for awhile) on the Ortega valves.

I wonder if you could refer someone locally to come check this out? I really want a resolve and it can not be good for the tile or plaster for the water levels to fluctuate 3" per day.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.