New Pool Owner Starting aok so far

brtims

Bronze Supporter
Jul 25, 2016
Nazareth PA
Hi
We just had our IG pool installed 4 weeks ago (21K gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter). Been a BBB method user for a few years now for in an above ground pool but never had it working perfectly. I think I go the groove on now but just wanted to make sure what I was doing is correct. I read this site for weeks prior to owning the pool and it helped clear things up for me (pun intended)
So my recent numbers are:
FC:5.5
CC:0.5
TA: 80
CYA 60
PH: 7.6

So as the kids and their friends (prob 6 or 7 kids each day) swim I find myself dropping to FC of 3.5 ish. so each night I vacuum and add about 3/4 gallon to a full gallon of 10% liquid chlorine from wal-mart (pool solutions brand). Every morning FC back to 5 or 6(I think 5 is minimum with CYA of 50 or 60) and pool is perfectly clear.
I am assuming this is expected for the use it getting. It also gets 12 hours of sun.
Am I on the right track so far?? some people say I should shock once week but I have read here if I keep my FC and CC good there is no need.
Thanks a bunch for the info here so hopefully I am being a good student :)
Thanks
Brian

There is no need to shock the pool on a schedule if you're maintaining proper FC levels. With heavy usage as you suggest, 3.5 ppm loss per day is not out of the question. Just make sure you keep it at or above 5 at all times. I would dose to target 8 to 9 ppm after you measure FC each evening. If you know it's going to be a full day of swimming, check out the FC/CC in the middle of the action to see where you're at. If you're getting close to 5 ppm, give everyone a 15 minute pool break, dose the pool back up, brush the areas around the returns where you add bleach and send them back in.

Having a sign about not peeing in the pool helps keep the chlorine demand down too! ;)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for the reply. Great info
So far it is no more than 5 minutes a day to maintain crystal clear water with a ton of swimmers. I did test mid-day and it went from 8ish to 6 ish for FC. Totally on target and expected with full sun.
This costs of about $10 a week to maintain. Totally awesome!!
Hopefully I keep it going all summer.
Thanks again
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.