What to do for vacation?

Jul 15, 2016
Mount Airy, MD
First year with an above ground pool, and thanks to this site, was able to get my green pool to clear again! (THANKS!)

Now, I'm wondering what would be the best thing to do for when we go away for a beach vacation for a week?? I've got the pump on a timer, and I've been running it from 11:00am 'till sunset (I have a solar heater I like to pump the water through during warm hours) but I'm not sure what I should do to avoid coming home to a green pool..

As of this morning, tests show:
FC 4.5
CC 0.5 (We had 8 people in the pool yesterday)
CH 300
TA 100
CYA 40

Without other guidance, I'd probably just bring the FC up to 20 or so, and let it come back down over the week it will be unattended, but I'd be interested in any other expert ideas.. I do have someone coming over to feed the cats, so I could ask them to dump some liquid chlorine in, but I'd rather not bother them with it if possible. Also, should I leave the solar cover on or off? On the one hand, I'd assume more chlorine goes away if uncovered, but the water is already about 88, so I dont need the heat, and I'm wondering if the extra warm water will help algae grow, or to speed the chlorine evaporation?

Any ideas?

Covering will reduce chlorine loss significantly, so I would do that. I wouldn't raise your FC higher than 16 ppm, the shock level for your CYA.

I would do a test. Dose your pool at night then measure the FC and cover. The next night at about the same time, measure the FC again. That will tell you about what percentage of FC you'll lose per day. That will give you a better idea of what to do.

My best guess is that if you brought the FC to 16 ppm, covered the pool and had the cat sitter pour in about 6-8 ppm of bleach on day 4, you'd be fine when you got home.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.