new test kit user; need assisit

Poway

Apr 16, 2016
Poway, CA
Thanks for all the people who keep this site going!
I have a gunite pool that over the winter developed some hard stuff
on the sides. I just had it drained and polished and am starting up.
The quartzscape finish is one year old already.
My difficulty is that it is an outdoor pool with a cover on it. Some of the
pool math is based on recommend FC levels depending on the CYA level.
What level should I use? From research I'm leaning toward 20 ppm.
Here are my startup levels:
TC 1.5
FC 2.5
CC .5
Ph 6.6 (should I add borax)
TA 2400
CH 200
CYA 0
I turned the SWG on with the filter but need to know when to add (how much) salt.
Thank you!

That pH is crazy low, that should be brought up pretty quickly. CYA for a SWG should be 70-90. That TA is probably not right, but don't worry about that until you get your CYA and FC up.

TA can't be 2400. multiply the drops times 10. Could it have been 240?

I think the TF-100 only goes to 6.8 pH Does it go as low as 6.6? (I can't remember)

If you tested FC @ 2.5 ppm and then tested CC's @ .5 ppm then your TC needs to be 3.0 - let us know which is right.

We'll help you get your pool straight but let's get your numbers right to get started

Sorry guys I was using the test instructions off the site; but pulled the wrong kit instructions so my multiplier for Akilinity was off.
TA is 120
I tested FC and CC so adding those gives 3.0; but what is the value I put down was from the Daily test of K-1000; my mistake
TC is 3.0
I'm reading the PH also from the daily test of K-1000 also should I not record that either? Where else am I testing Ph?

That is the only pH test. If you really think it's 6.6, just shoot for 7.0 for now, then retest.

CYA is next, without any your FC will be used up in a day.

Well, I guess if you had a cover that completely shut out 100% sunlight, and had perfect water, nothing. But seeing how algae can grow even in ladders and behind pool lights, it doesn't take much sunlight to lose FC or let algae grow. Also, there is bather load; if you have a completely blacked out pool that never saw a swimmer I'm not sure what the point would be :)

Side note, you need some CYA even if the pool is indoors, it is an important buffer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd shoot for 40-50 ppm CYA to start with, assuming you will be covering it nearly all the time. If you're not happy with that, you can inch it up to more recommended levels for SWG pools. It's easy to work the CYA up higher, not so easy to work it down (drain/refill).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.