How to prevent weeds in rock around pool...

Oct 1, 2015
Lakeland, TN
We had our pool put in last October, so this is the first Summer we've been able to enjoy it, but we're still working on all the landscaping around it. We put an ornamental aluminum fence around the pool and currently just have dirt (with weeds) between the concrete decking and the fence.

We want to put Colorado River rock in that space and then extend the rock to about 12-18 inches outside of the fence.

I've been told to put down landscape fabric first, then put some smaller rock (pea gravel or drainage rock) on top of that as a base, and THEN put our river rock on top of that.

But while doing research I've read people say not to put rock on top of landscape fabric.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have a similar setup, and if so, what has been your experience?

Anything else I might need to keep in mind or consider? Thanks.

We have a similar set up below our fence all the way around the pool. 3' wide strip of river rock under the fence line. Landscape fabric should always be used underneath rock. I personally prefer the fabric that has a visible web pattern rather than the fabric that has a more felt-like appearance. Finer dust/dirt might be able to pass through the wider weave, lessening the build up of dirt in the rock while still preventing weeds. That's just my general opinion on fabric type.

The layer of pea/drainage rock underneath the river rock is unnecessary and may lead to just more dirt accumulation in the rock. Make sure to have enough space to have a full 3-4" of river rock below grade.

Eventually after 10-15 years on any landscape rock, you'll start to get weeds no matter how well it was installed. Dirt/dust from wind and rain build up in the rock and weeds find a home. Pulling it out and redoing is the only option then.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have grass next to the rock on the outside of the fence? If so, how do you keep the grass from infiltrating the rock?

We're going to have to lay sod. But we have a slight slope and a swale on both sides of the fence, so I might build a dry creek bed beside the rock, in the middle of the swale, to help with drainage... and then lay sod on the other side of the dry creek bed.

I have rock all the way around my pool decking. I have no fabrick and seldom get weeds. I first sprayed roundup to kill all vegetation and just put river rock about 2 inches deep. I do periodically get weeds but I only have to pull them about every other week for no more than 2 minutes of work each time. I also have a torch that I will use to burn them if I don't feel like bending over.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you have grass next to the rock on the outside of the fence? If so, how do you keep the grass from infiltrating the rock?

We're going to have to lay sod. But we have a slight slope and a swale on both sides of the fence, so I might build a dry creek bed beside the rock, in the middle of the swale, to help with drainage... and then lay sod on the other side of the dry creek bed.

Plastic landscape edging for a border between the rock and grass. Make sure the edging is buried to the right height so you can run the lawn mower right over it with the wheels of the one side of the lawn mower right in the rock.

08529725-983a-4f29-b503-1457fdf2d961_145.jpg

31196a48a7d7336fc09fc7876193edda.jpg

The edging is much easier to work with if you unroll it and lay it in the sun for a while before starting to install.

Pour bags of salt in the rocks. I make weed killer with water saturated with pool salt (2 gallons) with roughly 16 ounces of Hydrochloric acid and a few ounces of any type of liquid soap( to break surface tension). I put it in a 2 gallon pump-up sprayer.

In my opinion, use landscape fabric! A landscaping forum would tell you to avoid landscape fabric because it "kills" the dirt (the normal cycle is disrupted - oldl leaves don't have the chance to break down and feed the soil etc) So I wouldn't recommend landscape fabric under mulch in an ornamental or vegetable garden.

HOWEVER, our landscaper was supposed to put river rock on top of landscape fabric between our pool decking and the fence. Apparently they decided to take a short cut and left 6-12 inches uncovered around the perimeter (fabric must have been a little too narrow and rather than cutting additional pieces they got lazy. GRRR). We noticed it quickly because the number of weeds growing through the area without fabric was many times higher than the rest. Landscape fabric makes a big difference.

It's been a couple years and it's gotten even worse because those rocks are starting to sink into the soil and therefore even more soil is available for the weeds. I spent a good 15 hours moving the stones in a 10 linear foot section. I put landscape fabric down and shock the excess dirt off before replacing the rocks. Much better now. But I have hundreds of linear feet left to go (and not the time) (frustrates me because if they had done it right the first time it would have only taken an extra hour or two for the entire pool area.

Another warning, make sure the rocks aren't too big. I had wanted the rocks that are approx. 3" (medium sized), but many of the rocks in the mix they brought are 6" or so...because they are so big, they have been cracking over time leaving little shards of rock (which scratch feet but also make it easier for seeds to take root)

X2 on pre-emergent.

I absolutely hate landscape fabric. After a couple years enough dirt/dust settles on it that weeds start to grow on top of of the barrier. Also if you ever need to get below it, I have low voltage lighting and sprinkler lines running in under several areas of rock, it's a huge PIA. Using a good pre-emergent, like Amaze, a couple times a year you will never have weeds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have 12-16in of river rock between our decking and a wall. Previous owner went landscape fabric route. This year I was digging it all out, it was a nightmare. Dirt had built up and caused a mess.

This round I went with no fabric and I've been diligent with roundup and pulling the weeds. I like the salt idea.

We use Ortho GroundClear $18.00/gal at Home Depot. 1 qt mixed with 1 gal of water treats 75 sq ft. Applied in March and have not had any weeds or grass in the river rock between the pool and raised planting area. The river rock when down right on top of the dirt, no fabric.

Nothing will grow through many things. What does happen though is dirt and debris settle down between/among the rocks and eventually forms the soil hat weeds need. But then a spray once that occurs becomes an a occasional task.

I use a homemade weed killer that works and it's inexpensive. I was concerned about commercial brand weed killers with my dog. Here's what you do;
Mix ;
1 Gallon Distilled White Vinegar
1 cup Salt
2 tablespoons of Dawn Liquid Dish Detergent

Put it in a tank sprayer. I guarantee it will kill weeds, poison Ivy or pesky vines.

I use a homemade weed killer that works and it's inexpensive. I was concerned about commercial brand weed killers with my dog. Here's what you do;
Mix ;
1 cup Salt

Put it in a tank sprayer. I guarantee it will kill weeds, poison Ivy or pesky vines.

I have used this works great, but it will have to reapplied a few times over the season. Good for kids and pets and cheap like borscht ;)

just finished this project
landscape fabric and "no dig" landscape edging from Lowes.
NO DIG!
Needs mowing

Mix ;
1 cup Salt

For plants I REALLY want to kill I just pour on straight vinegar, does the trick. It's one of the only things that destroys moss as well.

What material is that edging, rubber, metal or plastic? I'm also looking for a non-dig option. Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ProFlex-...qflqwjL5RiwvVGh9g1zZ4aAil18P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is the same stuff I have around my pool. It's hard plastic. Mine is now going on it's 3 year of use. Still working great.

Shop Oldcastle 6-Pack 3.33-ft Black Plastic Landscape Edging Sections at Lowes.com

Excuse the dead grass - water restrictions. I see you are in Fair Lawn - I got mine from the Lowes on Rt 23 in Riverdale.

IMG_20150804_143517922_HDR_zpseay44ntv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I take it that's for your solar cover? nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.