Salt reading anomaly on SWG?

May 16, 2009
Hi,

I had a Swimpure Plus installed yesterday. The guy went over the panel with me before he left and said not to worry about the High Salt reading, that after a while it would go away and would only have the top two green lights, Power and Generating. This morning when I check though, the only thing lit up is the green Power light and the red Check Salt light, which he said would only come on if it was low on salt.. but how could it be low on salt when it was just installed yesterday afternoon and 7 or 8 bags of salt were dumped into the pool?

I guess I'll be going to P. Penney tomorrow with a water sample, but what do you guys think, could this be some sort of anomaly that will clear itself up? Faulty unit, maybe?

Thanks,

Wm Ollie

Hi, I also just got a SWG. I was told it takes about 48 hours of circulation for the salt to dissolve and for the SWG to get an accurate reading. Then, after 48 hours is when you turn on your SWG. Make sure you put it in Auto mode when you do.

My SwimPure Plus was installed by P-A-Penny 8 days ago. The installer went over the directions with me and there was a sticker in the control box that contained the same instructions. According to those instructions, I was to keep the pump running 24 hours and the SWG should be in the OFF position. After 24 hours, switch the SWG to the AUTO position and keep the pump running another 24 hours. Then start checking your start level. I noticed at one point it did rise to 3000 then came back to 2900 and has stayed there.

My installer placed 8 - 40lb bags of salt in my pool and brushed the salt towards the drain. After he left, I did a little more brushing. My pool holds btw 13,500-14,000 gallons. According to your sig, your pool holds 18k gallons. You may need more salt.

Right now, my control box reading is 2900. I purchased test strips and it indicated 3180. Factoring in the error ratio, the readings are very close - probably ~ 3000.

Thanks for replying, guys.

The installer turned it on and left it on. I didn't read the sticker until this morning. You'd think if it needed more salt then he would've realized it while he was there. Then again, with all the units this guy's installed, he should've known to keep the thing in the off position. So it's been running since he turned it on when he poured the salt in yesterday. Don't know if that's bad or good, but it is what it is, I guess. Right now the unit's showing 1,400.

The water is a lot clearer though. it was pretty cloudy yesterday.

Now the check cell light is on, so it's back to the installer this morning.

I have the identical problem. Our salt was added on Friday, and the system installed on Thursday. Yesterday morning the salt amount was at 1800. So I figured I would just run the pump another day and check it today. Still at 1800. I dumped two more bags into the pool an hour ago, so I'll see where that goes. My manual says chlorine wont be generated until the PPM is a minimum of 2300.

wmollie, it does sound like you don't have enough salt. Go to the pool calculator at http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and put in the number of gallons of your pool. Then cursor down to the Salt section and put in your current reading and what you want it to be and that will tell you how much salt to add. Just remember, if you add too much salt, then you'll have to drain/refill some water to get rid of the exta salt. So it's always better to slowly add amounts to your pool.

Whenever you get an error message on your panel, to reset it, hold the diagnostics button for about 5 seconds and it resets itself. I think your Check Cell light is probably because you don't have enough salt in there. I had the same problem, and then after adding another bag of salt, it went away.

My readout now says 2300 PPM and I still get the Check Salt error message. I don't know what to do now. Will the salt amount continue to rise over the rest of the day?

it gets worse... when they came to install, they determined my pump motor was defective because it was throwing the breaker at the box. They replaced that at time of installation of the SWG. The pump had been running since Friday when I turned it off this afternoon. When I turned it back on it threw the breaker and now won't come on at all. When I switch it on something 'jumps' in the SWG box but the pump refuses to kick on... This after I added another bag of salt and 7 lbs of stabilizer, which they determined I needed when they tested my water sample. My salt level turned out to be 2400, which they said is why the unit was giving such a false reading.

They gave me some acid to add but i'm not putting that in til the pump problem is solved, which i thought it was with the new motor.

Sorry to hear about your pump problem. The breaker tripping might be several things, water in the wiring, defective breaker, a short in the wiring, etc. Unless you see an obvious source of water in the wiring, you should have them back out to figure out what is really going on.

jonmar said:
My readout now says 2300 PPM and I still get the Check Salt error message. I don't know what to do now. Will the salt amount continue to rise over the rest of the day?

Jonmar, you should start your own thread about your problem so that the questions and answers don't get mixed up with the original poster, or maybe one of the Mods could move it. Just click on New Topic in the Salt Water Generators board and post your question. That way I think it you'll get more responses and we can get you some help :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In case anyone was wondering. P.Penny guy came out while I was at work and now the correct lights are lit and the unit shows 3100 as the salt reading. I asked the lady what the guy did. She said, he said he made some adjustments to the box. I was wondering what kind of adjustments he could've made, cause that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but that's all I could get out of her.

As the unit didn't show anything on the 'generating' light, does that mean no chlorine was being genereated the whole week and some odd days it took for them to come back out?

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.