Help me get to TFP Status

May 30, 2009
Ontario
Hi my name is Joe .
first time on this site. Oletrout has converted me to TFP. I have a kit and done my first readings. Hope someone can help me straighten this out. Here are my readings--
FC -- 28
CC -- 0
TC -- 28
PH -- 7.5
TA -- 260
CH -- 140
CYA - 40
TEMP - 65

Where do I go from here?
Any help you can give would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks Joe

Hi Joe and welcome :wave:

For starters, if your SWG is on, then turn it off and let that FC drift down. Have you been shocking your pool? ( Shock level for CYA of 40 is about 16.).

Once your FC drops below, retest your pH. High FC will make the pH test read a false higher number.

You can read Pool School and learn tons of great info, link in upper right of each page. There is an article on Water Balance Tips for SWGs.

To get within the recommended levels, you will need to increase your CYA and lower your TA. After reading the articles in Pool School, if you have questions, please post back and someone will be around to help you.

We're glad to have you and we are also glad oletrout sent you over. :lol:

duraleigh said:
Hey, Joe,

Tell us what water problems you have. Is your water clear? Green? Cloudy? Why did you raise FC to 28ppm?

Hi duraleigh
oletrout here. Poor Joe is busier than a one-legged waitress at an IHOP. Here's the post I made awhile back regarding his pool problem.

This pool is real dirty and swampy. He was removing the cover yesterday and all the debris accidently got dumped from the cover into the deep end. The pool is 2 yrs old 22 x 50 x 6 rectangular inground with a vinyl lining a main drain ,3 skimmers.

Equipped with a SWG, Hayward 1hp pump, sand filter Tested his water based on approx. 50,000 gal and the results were basically 0,zip, nada of anything. Didn't test for salt.

Got the pump started and advised him to start brushing the sides, vacuum/scoop out the bottom Crud and start shocking. He put in 30 l of 12% CL yesterday and this AM the FC level was 2.5. Using the PC and a target of 10 I told him to add 23 more L. The CYA/CL chart says 7.6 K of stabilizer. Should that be added right away when the pool is full of algae, foam on the top and debris in the bottom? Should he worry about the rest of the balancing or wait until the algae is cleared up?

There's been a lot of chlorine dumped in since the initial amt as noted in the post. There was some confusion as to who was dumping in chlorine and when. :shock: Anyway, a lot of the debris is gone and the bottom is starting to show but there's still algae.

Okay, so you're trying to clear a swamp.

Please read ABC's of Pool water chemistry and How to Shock a pool. They're both up in Pool School.

Simply put, you must vacuum/clean all the physical junk out of the pool manually and, with the pump running 24/7, you must continue to accurately and frequently add high doses of chlorine until your pool is crystal clear. Than (and only then) you can let the FC recede to normal levels. It sounds like you are dosing unevenly and not testing as carefully as you should.

I have done some tests- and came to some conclusions.
Am I heading in the right directions ? Here are my Numbers.

FC 14.5
CC 0
TC 14.5
PH 7.5
TA 130
CYA 50

If I'm reading it right, I should raise my CYA to 80.
CYA chart says to get it from 50 to 80, I will need to add 5.6 kilos of stabilizer.

Acordingly my TA is at 130 and the charts spec out at 60-80, but again if I am reading correctly my TA will drop some
after adding stabilizer. :?:

It also says in the NON- SWG column that with a CYA of 50 my shock level will be 20
I used this Number because 50 does not show on the SWG column and my SWG is off.

Using shock level 20 the PC is telling me to add 8.3 liters of 12 % CL.
I am using CL instead of Bleach.

Any information you can give me to put me on the right track would be appreciated.

THANKS

Joe

Yes, you are doing well. Your numbers look correct. Shock levels are the same with or without a SWG.

You may want to lower the TA level, or you can just add acid each time the PH gets up to 7.8, which will have the same effect in the long run.

Mornin'
Oletrout here. Joe is out of town and I'm trying to help keep him on track. . Just took his kit and tested

FC-18.5
CC-0
PH-7.5
TA-140
CYA-70

Joe's last post was :

If I'm reading it right, I should raise my CYA to 80.
CYA chart says to get it from 50 to 80, I will need to add 5.6 kilos of stabilizer.

His CYA is at 70 this AM. I will leave it there for now

Acordingly my TA is at 130 and the charts spec out at 60-80, but again if I am reading correctly my TA will drop some
after adding stabilizer. :?:

Will it hurt to ignore the TA level for now. There is still a mess in the deep end??

It also says in the NON- SWG column that with a CYA of 50 my shock level will be 20
I used this Number because 50 does not show on the SWG column and my SWG is off.
Using shock level 20 the PC is telling me to add 8.3 liters of 12 % CL.
I am using CL instead of Bleach.

Joe was using Shock Level 20 because the CYA was at 50. There is still lots of algae and the CYA is 70 should I change his shock level to 28??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:lol:
Thanks Mom. :cheers:

Would be nice if i could get Joe's pool up to snuff before he gets home.Of course i have a selfish reason :oops: . I'm going away for 10 days at the end of June on a fishing trip in NFLD. My wife Linda is not too adept at using the computer so she won't be able to log in here and bug you guys about any problem that may arise-but HOPEFULLY- Joe will be well versed by then and i won't have to worry. :)

I gotta thank you all again here at TFP. My pool is "shimmering" right now. SWG is set at 20% output and running the pump for 8 Hrs a day and all numbers seem to be holding. Keeping my fingers crossed.

:cheers:

Here's some pics of Joe's pool. In the first and second one you can see a bit of mine in the background.
Got my fingers crossed that I will have it clear by Sat. :)

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9078.jpg

IMG_9079.jpg

Wow, you guys have fantastic views! Next door TFP neighbors. Must be nice! :lol:

So glad your pool is "shimmering". You are turning into an ole pro :mrgreen:

Fingers crossed for Saturday.

btw, I know you will take lots of pix on your trip to NFLD and you are more than welcome to post them in the Coffee Bar forum. We'd love to see them. :wink:

In Joe's pool we have been using shock level 28 based on CYA of 70. Just took a reading and the CYA is 60 and FC is 20.5 ?? Shock FC level is 24 when CYA is 60. Do we change shock level to 24 to complete the shock or stay at 28 and do the overnight test?
The pool is just a hair away from being clear.

Do I adjust the CYA UP at this time or wait until shocking has been completed?

:cheers:

Wait on the CYA addition. CYA at 60 is easier for shocking, then CYA at higher levels is.

Since you have a new CYA number, you can start shocking to the new FC level right away. For the overnight test, it doesn't really matter what FC level you are at, though if there is still living algae it does matter.

YIPPEE-Overnight test held at 24. Seems we are done shocking :?: :?:

Cya was added this am to boost level to 70

Ta is at 110. Should we do anything right now to lower TA or wait a few days until the CYA is dssolved.

LOOKS GREAT THIS AM. Thank you so much for your guidance.

Ya done good :!: :goodjob:

I'd say not to worry about the TA until it is a problem 8)

Enjoy those pools!

Please feel free to consult us if a problem arises (otherwise, we'd love to see pics of y'all enjoying the pools and stop by the Coffee Bar to say "Hi" :-D )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.