my new project

isriam

Jan 15, 2015
PHX
purchased a home and the pool looks to be a mess. gonna track it here instead of the swg forum. a refill isn't an option as the cost of water is outrageous here. maybe in the winter or something.

tc - 2 to 3
ph - 8.2+
ch - 650-850 (water never turned totally blue at 34 drops)
ta - 200
cya - 100+
salt - 3900 (ic40 results)

fill water from tap is ta-140 and ch-25.

PH is way too high and needs to be lowered quickly back to the mid-7s. Your FC is way too low for your current CYA. Have you tried a CYA dilution test yet?

CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Yowza - any scaling at the waterline?

I agree with TS that the first orders of business should be pH lowering and an accurate determination of CYA. You'll be battling the pH for a while with the TA as high as it is.

Is your fill water softened?

So a couple things. My house has a softener, and testing at the tap inside its like CH25 but I don't know how to test the pool fill since its an automatic filler. Any suggetsions?

I picked up a couple of gallons of Acid and plan on working on ph and ta today. I started this post to kind of track my work and get suggestions. the ic40 is broken so i'm going with liquid chlorine until i get these levels back in line.

So a couple things. My house has a softener, and testing at the tap inside its like CH25 but I don't know how to test the pool fill since its an automatic filler. Any suggestions?
I'm a little confused by this question. So you are able to test the inside water (softener), but not sure how to test the pool water? Pool water testing the same ... 10ML sample using the R-0010, 11, and 12 reagents then multiply by 25. If you're having a problem, let us know.

But honestly, even though I noted the high pH and low FC above, your CYA has the most influence on what to do next - change-out water. Before you start wasting chemicals, it's best to exchange water. But you need to perform that diluted CYA test that I gave you above. Let us know what you get form that and we'll go from there.

I'm a little confused by this question. So you are able to test the inside water (softener), but not sure how to test the pool water? Pool water testing the same ... 10ML sample using the R-0010, 11, and 12 reagents then multiply by 25. If you're having a problem, let us know.

I think he was saying he has a softener, and tested inside water, but doesn't know if his auto-fill is softened or untreated water. I think, maybe.

exactly :) i typed up a message but i guess it didnt post.

i talked to the previous owner and he states the fill water is not softened. so thats probably where my issue is. i'm going to work on the ph and try the diluted cya test. i dont think that matters though because i'm sure its way over 100.

water change out would probably cost me $1,000 based on the water rates around here. i paid 500 this month for 18k gallons of usage. my pool is 19k gallons.

If it were my pool I would do a complete drain and fill, even if the water bill is $500...with high CH and CYA you would be fighting a never endng battle, and a water change may save you money in the long run...my 2 cents

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.