Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to add pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to add pH?

Ok, so I got a new pool and I am adding CYA to my pool. My pH used to be at 7.6 but now, after 3lbs of CYA, it looks like it is around 6.9. I am wondering if I need to highten the pH or if the CYA throws my test off. Should I wait to test for a couple of days after I am done administering the CYA?
    25,000gal IG Vnyl pool/Challenger 1HP Pump/ Triton II Sand Filter/Denver, CO/ Complete Noob at pools and anything to do with them (besides swimming)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to add pH?

Adding CYA will reduce you PH. Whether you need to increase PH will also depend on you TA.

It would be best if you could post a complete set of numbers.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply

I am not by my numbers at the moment but I do remember that my TA was at 100.
    25,000gal IG Vnyl pool/Challenger 1HP Pump/ Triton II Sand Filter/Denver, CO/ Complete Noob at pools and anything to do with them (besides swimming)

4. Back To Top    #4

Go play in the water and create lots of aeration, your PH will bounce right back up.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!

Can I play around in the pool with the CYA being distributed?

Why would my pH appear to be lower just because I havent been in the pool?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheExecutive
    Thanks!

Can I play around in the pool with the CYA being distributed?

Why would my pH appear to be lower just because I havent been in the pool?
    The answer is rather technical but in a nutshell your pool is carbonates (this is what TA is part of). When the pH is too low we can raise it by reducing the amout of carbonic acid (carbon dioxide dissolved in water) by aerating the water to force out the CO2 and make the water go 'flat" much like shaking up a bottle of soda.

IF you want a more technical explanation here it is:
    ta-what-is-it-really-t4979.html