Might have to do first slam

Pool was looking a little dirty today so I threw in the vac and swept the walls. While sweeping saw a lot of "brown" dirt move about. Water has been slightly cloudy since. Can still see the bottom but it's not sparkling.

Doing an OCLT to see what happens. FC was a little under my min for my cya level. Also seeing if just time clears it up.

Question, for SLAM, I know I need the pump running 24/7, but at what speed? I typically have it run 12 hrs at 1000rpm during high electricity times and between 2200 and 2500 the rest of the time. Can I leave my normal settings or must it run higher?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

24/7 is not an option for SLAM, and the more circulation the better of course, but if you haven't seen any dead spots, then there's no reason to change pump speed other than "for good measure"

I don't think you need that high a speed at night, but your daytime speed might be a bit low. Only you will know. I use low speed, except medium speed for the cleaner, and high speed for backwash or a qood skim after a storm or before a party.

I ran the low speed during the slam. My water was pretty clean the entire time I just realized I needed a slam because my SWG couldn't keep up with the demand.

I think if your pool normally seems fine then keep what you are doing and slam. If your water doesn't clear up after a few days of slamming then turn it up some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Came home and to me the water has a green tint, not a white cloudy colour. Had passed the oclt last night.

Raising my fc....it's SLAMin time

Current readings:
Ph: 8 (added all the acid I had left, should have been enough for about 7.6) it's always at 7.8-8, my aerators are always bubbling, can't stop them!
Fc: 2.5 (added 8L to start, will recheck in a bit, math called for 12ish)
Cc: 0 (was 0.2 this am but am testing with 10ml, didn't show any pink)
Ta: 170
Cya: 55

Take a pic each day looking down at your steps. It will help you track your progress.

So given that your test readings were fine, you're slamming because water is not clear. Is that correct?

Please add your test kit to your signature, thanks

1 hr later....
Fc-8 !?!?!?!?!
Pool store said thier chlorine is 13% (whmis sticker said 10.5), but pool math says it's 6%. So either it was really old, or its been too hot under my shed where I store it out if the sun or my pool is A LOT bigger than I thought!

Added another 10L, brushed everything and retested (under 30 mins later but it's now dark) and
Fc-19 (according to pool math that jug was 10%...better, it was bought today)

Unfortunately I'm out of chlorine until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully what I've started is not for waste! The pool stores $30 algecide is so tempting (since that's the same cost of 30L of chlorine) but being a long time lurker (and believer) on this site, my conscience is telling me to resist

Till the morning! Out **** algae, OUT!

Take a pic each day looking down at your steps. It will help you track your progress.

So given that your test readings were fine, you're slamming because water is not clear. Is that correct?

Great suggestion,thanks. Thought about doing a starting photo but got distracted. Will try in the am.

I have a "custom" Taylor test kit. I believe it's basically the k2006 without ch. When I bought it 3 years ago, they had to out it together. Replaced all reagents this season. Will see if I can dig up the info

Missed the why am I slaming....

Correct. Water wasn't clear and today after work, looked like it had a green tint to it. Just now brushed the whole pool and saw lots of (sand like) dirty being kicked up.

It's always been a challenge for me as the original owners put in a grey is liner. Both neighbours have deep blue liners, so my water has never looked like theirs. Mines always seemed " dull" compared to thiers.

The initial charge of chlorine is big, and the daily additions are a fair bit too, but as the algae dies, you'll notice the top-ups become less and less.

I think you should just put K-2006 in your signature, sounds pretty close.

Good luck with the MMMaintain part and brushing, and consider your CYA to be 60 (we round up, so use the next line down from what you see in the test).

1 hr later....
Fc-8 !?!?!?!?!
Pool store said thier chlorine is 13% (whmis sticker said 10.5), but pool math says it's 6%. So either it was really old, or its been too hot under my shed where I store it out if the sun or my pool is A LOT bigger than I thought!

Added another 10L, brushed everything and retested (under 30 mins later but it's now dark) and
Fc-19 (according to pool math that jug was 10%...better, it was bought today)

Unfortunately I'm out of chlorine until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully what I've started is not for waste! The pool stores $30 algecide is so tempting (since that's the same cost of 30L of chlorine) but being a long time lurker (and believer) on this site, my conscience is telling me to resist

Till the morning! Out **** algae, OUT!

I was under impression you need to tell PoolMath concentration of chlorine you going to use then it will calculate the amount based on that concentration. It can't possibly know what you got.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.