Taking care of neighbors pool

b_rent

In The Industry
Jul 17, 2016
Trevor, WI.
My neighbor has a 33,000 gallon vinyl lined pool with the saltwater generator for chlorine. It also has a single sand filter. They have an out of control algae(black) problem that I feel has been there since they opened the pool this season. I am familiar with sodium hypochlorite, but not with this chlorine generator. I was wondering if anyone could tell me all the readings I am supposed to be getting on my Taylor test kit. Would they be the same readings as a sodium hypochlorite pool? Thank you in advance.

Chlorine is chlorine no matter where it comes from. The bottle of bleach is the same as chlorine from the SWG is the same as the pool chlorine, albeit perhaps different strengths.

Your tests should be the same FC,CC,pH, TA, CH,CYA...but a SWG does not provide enough of an instant boost of chlorine to raise the levels of FC to fight algae. It works like the tortoise while the bottle of liquid chlorine works like the hare. If you have algae you need the "hare" way ;)

Here are some articles for you to read- ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.