Rid-X in an outdoor dog pen to control odor

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
I have an outdoor dog pen with a dirt base and have heard that people use Rid-X for odor control and to help break up waste enzymes. Has anyone ever heard of this ?
They also talk about using a milder version of DE as well for enzyme break down ?

We have a dirt floor in our kennel and we use a product from HD, Odor-Off or Odor-Out or something like that. I'm too lazy to go look, haven't had enough coffee yet :)

It's an enzyme product which you dilute with water. We use it in the kennel and on the floors when a dog has had an accident, very effective. One time Jake brought a bunny inside and slaughtered it in the dining room. I am still astonished at how much blood there is in a rabbit! All of it soaked through the carpet and into the pad. After we had sopped up what we could with paper towels we treated the are with this enzyme stuff and have had no smell even on the most humid days.

The other thing you can use is dilute bleach, of course.

Hi AnnaK, I was thinking about you the other day, saying I had not seen you post in a long time and here you are !

How do you apply the stuff from home depot, through a hand sprayer ? Your not talking about Odor Ban are you ?

Im sorry I didnt mean to disturb your morning coffee !! We have odor ban here. I never thought to spray it in the kennel though.

Thanks for looking and I will check out the other stuff as well. How often do you spray ? We have 6 dogs .... :shock:

Six!? We had six dogs for a couple of weeks one time, four of ours and two visitors, all German Shepherds. Definitely a full house!

Our dogs only use the kennel when they can't get out into the yard so we really don't have much of an odor problem except in summer when the humidity is really high. We spray "as needed" and put down enough to wet the dirt floor, about 1 qt per 100 sq ft.

I'm going to withdraw my suggestion of using bleach. It sounds like your kennel gets heavier usage than ours does and bleach + ammonia is not a good idea in a dirt floor kennel.

Ours are in the kennel all the time when they are outside. We only have one big dog and that is a Yellow Lab which is really our daughters because when she moved out, her landlord wont let her have pets so we inherited her. The others are a mini pin, shih tzu , and mini pin/ shih tzu miz and 2 shorkies so they are all small.

Your waste disposal problems are far less voluminous than ours, lucky you!

Here's an idea: could you train them to use a baby pool filled with wood shavings? Is the kennel large enough to put that in? You would cut out an opening to allow the smaller dogs to walk in. Bales of wood shavings are had for little money at feed stores. Easy to clean up but might get tangled up in their coats. Hmmm, maybe not so feasible for your breeds.

1 c Odor Ban to 3 c water which is slightly stronger than the recommended 1:4 dilution, but since it's a dirt floor I figure it needs to soak in rather than just sit on the surface like it might on a concrete floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.