How to smooth areas underwater?

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
We have a table in our pool. The underneath is so rough and I asked the plaster company if they could smooth it. They told me they didn't have the right tools and PB would have to have someone come out. But then they filled it with water and that area is about 3 inches under the water line. Any thoughts on what would work to smooth that out? It's uneven and rough enough to scrape legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pool was just completed a week ago. We have 4 bar stools and a ledge that over hangs. I asked the PB the same question. He called the pebble tec installers and he told me they don't put it under tables or ledges. For me it's not a problem because your legs aren't that high. I just wanted to make sure they didn't miss a spot.

I would like to know what you find out and do to resolve it.

My spray deck hasn't been installed yet, next week and we will be done!

373617fc3e88ce713d253b054446fb94.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My pool was just completed a week ago. We have 4 bar stools and a ledge that over hangs. I asked the PB the same question. He called the pebble tec installers and he told me they don't put it under tables or ledges. For me it's not a problem because your legs aren't that high. I just wanted to make sure they didn't miss a spot.

I would like to know what you find out and do to resolve it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They put plain plaster underneath at my request (no pebbles) and because the tiles stuck out further past the edge of the cement on the bottom edge it created a hole inside with a thin sharp edge on the tile. But that tile edge is still sharp so it isn't the underside that concerns me so much as the bottom edge going around. Getting up, sitting down, and kids playing are all potential scrape scenarios.

They sell 3m diamond pads of differnt grit which are like six inch circles that the Pebble tech guys had used but I don't know the part numbers. Probably can get them at Home Depot. These are them..Flexible Diamond Products
Save time and money while getting consistent,
beautiful results again and again.
Your search for
diamonds is over. Youʼve discovered 3M

Flexible
Diamond Products—possibly the world
ʼ
s fastest
polishing and grinding products that let your
pool finishing business shine. Our
3M

Flexible
Diamond Product’s
cutting-edge technology
saves you time and money, delivering consistent,
gorgeous finishes with less frequent replacements
than your current sanding disks and sheets. These
product gems are extremely durable when used
wet and are exceptional on hard-to-grind surfaces
like quartz, ceramic, glass and pebble.
For fast, easy, uncompromising finishes,
use 3M

Flexible Diamond Products.

Reactions: Chihuaha Verde
Our PB had an abrasive pad attachment on a weedeater they used to smooth the sun shelf but of course that was a a job in only 20" of water not under a table top. If the builder is not going to drain and take care of it and you are somewhat of a DIY-er here is my idea.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this it's an unproven idea...

I would be tempted to buy an air powered polisher or sander from Harbor freight and sand it with the water at it's current level basically it would wet sand it. If you try this submerged the sander in a bucket of warm soapy water and run it a few times to be sure there is no oil in the sander that is going to get into the pool. This will also be a test to see if it is going to work at all under water. There is a high probability you will ruin the sander in the process of sanding the table unless you thoroughly dry and oil it after use but they only run $30 to $50 so not a huge loss if it fixes the problem.

Our PB had an abrasive pad attachment on a weedeater they used to smooth the sun shelf but of course that was a a job in only 20" of water not under a table top. If the builder is not going to drain and take care of it and you are somewhat of a DIY-er here is my idea.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this it's an unproven idea...

I would be tempted to buy an air powered polisher or sander from Harbor freight and sand it with the water at it's current level basically it would wet sand it. If you try this submerged the sander in a bucket of warm soapy water and run it a few times to be sure there is no oil in the sander that is going to get into the pool. This will also be a test to see if it is going to work at all under water. There is a high probability you will ruin the sander in the process of sanding the table unless you thoroughly dry and oil it after use but they only run $30 to $50 so not a huge loss if it fixes the problem.

Is it safe to submerge a plugged in appliance like a sander underwater if it's not meant for underwater usage?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.