Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a K-2006. What do you do with the water that you have tested that has all of the chemicals in it that you just added?

Maybe I'm being too careful, but I'm wondering if it is safe to
- put it down the drain in to the septic tank (where you're supposed to avoid chlorine)
- put it back in the pool where we swim
- in the yard where i have the choice of lawn, vegetable garden, or wet lands (lawn would be the best choice, but not perfect.)

What do you do?

I do the first and have a septic tank. The amount of chlorine you are adding is FAR less than is coming from your normal drinking water! (and nothing a bit of RidX can't take care of.

(So tell me, do you use Clorox in your wash and if you do where does the washer drain to? Do you use a tablet type toilet bowl cleaner that contains chlorine? Do you have municipal water that is most likely santized with chlorine and if you do do you keep it out of the septic tank?)

Pouring it back into the pool is not a great idea. Pouring it in the lawn might be ok if you flush the area with water aftewards... the key here is dilution.

I am on city water, use all of the above, and don't have any septic problems. I have lived with septic tanks since I was a kid (my parents had one) and I am in my 50's now. My parents tank had to be pumped out after about 25 years but that is par for the course. Like I said, RidX montlly works wonders!

I dump in the yard. It hasn't turned any funky colors yet... although red grass would be pretty cool. The dogs are taking care of turning it yellow on their own. :mrgreen:

EskimoPie said:
I just toss mine back in the pool...
THIS is something I would never do because some of the reagents are suspected carcinogens or have other health effects. I would not want to swim in them, even in small quantities.

I had a pool guy come over for some warranty work on my pool and he tested the water and poured everything back in the pool. I didn't like this method and pour all mine on the ground away from the plants.

Most pool techs do pour it back in the pool (in fact, some old time ones even shoot pH and OTO reagents right into the water) even though this is not what they are taurght in CPO classes. It's just plain laziness.
If you contact most test kit manufacturers they will tell you not to pour the results back into the pool but to dispose of it properly.

With the daily testing, I just find a weed (got plenty) and dump it on them in hopes that they will die. :twisted:

But, when I break out the big kit, a/k/a TF100, I send it all down the kitchen sink w/ plenty of water.

btw, my tap water has cc's and my pool does not. I kinda feel like I am doing them a favor. :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.