Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I converted my pool to Salt 3 years ago and have been very pleased with the system. I have a free standing hot tub for which I still use BBB.
Does any one here have experience converting their hot tub to salt ? If so which Spa SWCG system is most user friendly. Or is it a bad Idea for a spa? I have heard concerns about corrosion.

Thanks.

I bought a used Hot Spring Jetsetter a couple of years ago and converted to an SWG (using the Saltron Mini drop in SWG), overall I am happy with it, however the SWG control is rather course, and the Jetsetter is a fairly small 215 gallon 2-3 person tub, so I have trouble keeping FC constant, at setting 2 it slowly drops and at setting 3 it gets too high, this may be less of an issue with a typical 350+ gallon tub. As to excessive wear concerns, I have experienced 2 failed circulation pumps, but no other issues, and I don't know if the failures were related to the salt or just bad luck.

I also use the Saltron Mini, could not be any easier. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use the Saltron Mini, could not be any easier. Works great

OK, but there are some considerations about corrosion. My tub has no metal parts in the main portion of the tub, but the heating element is something that I imagine can corrode. So I wonder if folks have had issues with this and salt water. Not a problem in my pool at all though.

OK, but there are some considerations about corrosion. My tub has no metal parts in the main portion of the tub, but the heating element is something that I imagine can corrode. So I wonder if folks have had issues with this and salt water. Not a problem in my pool at all though.

If it's an inline immersion-type heater (kind of like the element heater you find in a hot water tank), then the heating element itself needs to be made out of titanium or else the high chloride content will corrode other metal types.

If it's an inline immersion-type heater (kind of like the element heater you find in a hot water tank), then the heating element itself needs to be made out of titanium or else the high chloride content will corrode other metal types.

I have a Marquis spa from about 2008, and the heating element appears to be some kind of cartridge with intake and output, and the water heats as it travels through the unit. I have no idea what it is made out of. How would I find that out?

Is the manufacturer still in business? If so, sometimes you can call them up with the model and serial number of the spa and they can tell you specifics about it. The heater might an "off the shelf" type component so if that has any make or model info on it you could try searching the web for it.

Is the manufacturer still in business? If so, sometimes you can call them up with the model and serial number of the spa and they can tell you specifics about it. The heater might an "off the shelf" type component so if that has any make or model info on it you could try searching the web for it.

Yes, I can find the replacement element online, but it is hard to tell how it is made. It is one of the inline Balboa's and I believe they can be had with titanium and stainless too. I may take off the cover and see if I can figure it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A steel element won't last. It's doubtful they use the more expensive grades of stainless steel for salt water environments so high chloride content will destroy it. Titanium elements can resist chloride attack.

All I can tell you is I've had my hot tub for five years, I put the salt water generator it from the get-go, and have had zero problems. It is a Sundance Altimore. Even if my heater or anything else failed today, it would have been well worth it. So far I have not had problems with anything. If I was starting over, I would do it all over again without hesitation.

All I can tell you is I've had my hot tub for five years, I put the salt water generator it from the get-go, and have had zero problems. It is a Sundance Altimore. Even if my heater or anything else failed today, it would have been well worth it. So far I have not had problems with anything. If I was starting over, I would do it all over again without hesitation.

Looks like Sundance uses a 5.5kW titanium heater - Heater Assy and Gasket Kit, Sundance, Smart Heater, 5.5KW 220V 60
This would explain why you've not seen a heater failure with salt additions.

I assume then since you are using a SWG for your spa that you have a titanium heater?

My spa is attached to my pool. So my heat source is Nat gas ;-) That said, if I had to do it over again I would get rid of the attached spa (and make the Baja deck bigger) and run a separate hot tub. The spa on my pool goes mostly unused even though I do try to use it myself as much as possible.

My spa is attached to my pool. So my heat source is Nat gas ;-) That said, if I had to do it over again I would get rid of the attached spa (and make the Baja deck bigger) and run a separate hot tub. The spa on my pool goes mostly unused even though I do try to use it myself as much as possible.

I am glad to hear another perspective for this. My hot tub is separate, and I have always wondered what it would be like trying to keep it at correct temps if it were adjoined to my pool. I use them both regularly, but for totally opposite reasons. I have a friend who has a hot tub with his pool, and it is never really as hot as I would prefer it. Also, being separate I can use it 12 months a year. Not sure I will ever be in a position to build a new pool, but if I did I think I would probably keep the hot tub separate.

I love this site. Very helpful. OK, I will consider my options. I am using the chlorine method on this site, and my spa is fantastic with crystal clear water. But, putting liquid chlorine in every day or every other day can be a pain, especially when I have days where I am not out using the spa. So, I will look into the heating element situation and see what I can figure out.

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad to hear another perspective for this. My hot tub is separate, and I have always wondered what it would be like trying to keep it at correct temps if it were adjoined to my pool. I use them both regularly, but for totally opposite reasons. I have a friend who has a hot tub with his pool, and it is never really as hot as I would prefer it. Also, being separate I can use it 12 months a year. Not sure I will ever be in a position to build a new pool, but if I did I think I would probably keep the hot tub separate.

When I built my pool I went for a standalone spa for that reason. It is up closer to the house, and used year round. Covered and ready.

OK, let's take another tack here. Clearly my heater coil is one that will corrode with salt, unlike some of them. So, any thoughts on the estimated time to failure in a saline spa? The heater unit is not very expensive, say around $130 to replace. If I had to do that say every 3 years, in return for which I get the ease of a chlorine generator like my pool, that would be worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.