Test kits

May 12, 2009
Besides being able to test for CYA, what are the advantages to a higher end test kit like tyhe K2006???? Is it easier to get readings on PH and CL......My current $25 kit is hard to read.....Or I just can't decifer colors that well.....

The biggest advantage is the FAS-DPD chlorine test that measures chlorine up to 50ppm and uses counted drops vs. a color match. Inclusion of CYA and CH tests and larger reagent quantities for all tests help too.

Note that the TF100 uses Taylor reagents, so both the TF100 and Taylor K-2006 have all the advantages mentioned below.

The Taylor PH test is better than the other brands. The color standard that you compare to looks more like the sample will look than most of the others and it works over a wider FC range than many of the others. Some people still have some trouble reading it however.

The FAS-DPD chlorine test, in the TF100 and Taylor K-2006, measures FC from 0 to 50+ in steps of 0.5 or 0.2 depending on how you do the test. None of the other chlorine tests even come close to being as versatile.

CYA testing is of course critical. Despite some minor problems, the black dot disappearing CYA test is the most repeatable CYA test available for a plausible price.

The Taylor TA and CH tests are more resistant to interference than the others and work reliably over a wide range.

this thread has some pictures of the pH comparators in cheap kits and the one in the TF100. I think the differences speak for themselves.
no-test-kit-gives-a-consistent-result-t9213.html

Just scroll down until you see the pics near the end of the thread.
The second pic is from the Taylor K-1000 included in the TF100.
The K-2006 by taylor has a slightly different comparator but it is eqaully easy to read!

Most of the people on here had experience with cheap test kits before getting a good one and the difference is NIGHT and DAY!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.