take a look @ my numbers please.

May 23, 2009
Everything seems cool in my pool. I have a pool guy that I am trying to break away from because I think I am wasting money on him. He never, ever wants to shock. Even when we had 35 people over in our pool. The F.C. levels are almost always around 0. He says that is because he uses a product called no more problems. Sounds fishy to me. After I called him out on the no Chlorine he told me it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the No more problems to "line" everything out.......One thing in his favor is that the pool does look good. Yet it looked good last summer for a couple of months when there was no pool guy here!!! Here are my numbers. Please tell me if anything looks crazy.
Oh yeah, and the reason why there is Chlorine in my results is because I told him yesterday when he treated the pool to shock it because I saw some small spots of green algae on one of the walls.

P.H. 7.6-7.7 kinda inbetween
Cl FC=5-7 T.C.= 5-7 C.C.= 0
TA 100
Cal Hard. 400
CYA 70

He put in 3 3' cl pucks
3# of shock
backflushed the filter and added 4# of D.E.

I am using a Taylor K2006 and the reason why I put CL 5-7 is because the colors on the glass thing only go up to 5 but it was a shade darker than that, but not much. I run my pump and filter about 12 hours a day at this point.

So thanks in advance and please let me know what you think. I am really looking forward to going BBB.

Catagory5

Unless you are running a SWG...you may be heading into problems with a CYA of 70 and still using triclor (which adds CYA in addition to Chlorine)

Take a look at the CYA/FC chart to get a feel for minimum and "shock" levels of chlorine. You do not have enough chlorine in your pool currently to kill the algae.

I do not know what the product is that you are using, but most of us here strongly encourage using BBB for its effectiveness, reliability, safety and simplicity.

Spend some time in the pool school and post some test results. :goodjob:

For the most part, you are okay. Your CYA is high, but not to the insane level yet. You need to stop using any form of stabilized chlorine, and since your CH is up there too, you don't want to use cal-hypo either. You'd help yourself by draining and replacing some water to lower CYA and CH, but you'd need to know the CH of your tap water to know how it will work out.

United Chemical (the same people who brought you all those bromide based products that need a high pH and then came out with their 'Hamilton Index" for water balance that uses a high pH! Hmmmmm...) makes a lot of claims for No More Problems, which is a proprietary product. I suspect that it is a chitosan based clarifier since many of the claims they make for it are what chitosan is supposed to do. The fact that it creates a chlorine demand and that united chemital says to test with OTO and not DPD (this is because their bromide based products convert chlorine to bromine and OTO is a better test than the FC DPD test for bromine) makes me very suspicious of this product. The msds just says it is proprietary (as are most of United Chemical's forumulations). I am almost willing to bet it also contains Polyquut 60 since they say in the literature that you don't need any other algaecides which implies the product is an algaeicide, and that it can cause the FC to drop or disappear on application, which is something polyquat does.

Junk the no more problems because in the long run it's going to be a problems!

Unless you are running a SWG...you may be heading into problems with a CYA of 70 and still using triclor (which adds CYA in addition to Chlorine)

Take a look at the CYA/FC chart to get a feel for minimum and "shock" levels of chlorine. You do not have enough chlorine in your pool currently to kill the algae.

I do not know what the product is that you are using, but most of us here strongly encourage using BBB for its effectiveness, reliability, safety and simplicity.

Spend some time in the pool school and post some test results

Well, I have not had a problem with Algae ever. I had a couple of spots this past week but nothing at all compared to all the other people around here with IG pools. I would have thought a 5-7 would be right on the money with the Chlorine. What should it be? I thought anything over 5 is not recomended to swim in?

I have started reading the Pool School and it is great! Thanks

Cat5,

That's really good advice. You are on the borderline of having pool water that will become unmanageable.

It may take all summer (to get unmanageable) or it may never even occur but you would be in a lot better position to get your CYA down around 50 and stop using the pucks

If you're into Pool School, you are finding out just how simple pool water management can be. Keep reading and ask lots of questions. There's a lot of nice people here who truly know the answers.

Welcome to the forum.

Ok got my chemicals tested at Pool Warehouse. Here is there results:

Free Cl 4.5
Total Cl 4.5
combined cl 0.0
Ph 7.5
Hardness 350
Alkalinity 90
CyA 80 (this is my fear also)
copper 0.0
Iron 0.0
Total Dissolved solids 500

So my CYA is creeping up little by little. I may have to do a partial drain before to long.
They also said my CL is too high. Even too high to swim. I am not sure if that is the case though. It shows by their chart it should be between 1.0 and 3.0 Wouldnt those numbers be too low for CL???

Still reading Pool school!

catagory5 said:
Ok got my chemicals tested at Pool Warehouse. Here is there results:

Free Cl 4.5
Total Cl 4.5
combined cl 0.0
Ph 7.5
Hardness 350
Alkalinity 90
CyA 80 (this is my fear also)
copper 0.0
Iron 0.0
Total Dissolved solids 500

So my CYA is creeping up little by little. I may have to do a partial drain before to long.
They also said my CL is too high. Even too high to swim. I am not sure if that is the case though. It shows by their chart it should be between 1.0 and 3.0 Wouldnt those numbers be too low for CL???

Still reading Pool school!

With your level of CYA - yes. They are wrong.

Continue reading Pool School, and I would follow the advice given above and do a partial drain to lower your CYA, and I would stop using pucks.

You can hang onto the pucks and use them to maintain an FC level when you're away on vacation. In my pool with a solar cover, two pucks in a floater will maintain FC and pH for a week, and the CYA bump is minimal.
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.